Help with Woodstove install at the chimney thimble.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stihl025

Jan 25, 2008
Kennedy Twp, PA
Hello everyone, I am new here, so please be gentle. LOL

I am about to install a wood stove in the concrete basement of our house. The house is older and has a double chimney from the old coal burning days. The chimneys are 8" round terra-cotta lined that are in the center of the house. I purchased a 6" stainless liner kit (just to be safe, and for stove requirement) and now need some help with the connection at the tee.

The thimbles on the masonry chimneys are vey thick iron, 8" in diameter. What is the best way to make a connection from the liner and tee to the black stove pipe? Having a 6" pipe through an 8" opening, I am not sure how to address this. Here are some pics so you know what I am looking at.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ed

Attachments

• Thimble.jpg
    Thimble.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2,178
  • Thimbleandcleanout.jpg
    Thimbleandcleanout.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,326
Much more knowledgeable people will chime in, but I simply used a thimble reducer (not sure if that is the correct term) that shrinks the 8" down to the 6" that you need. It cost about 20 bucks, if I remember correctly. All good stove shops should have them.

I am interested to see if there is any way to install a "T" inside there, if not the reducer feeding the original 8" may be the way to go.

How far back until it 90*'s up?

Hubjeep said:
I am interested to see if there is any way to install a "T" inside there, if not the reducer feeding the original 8" may be the way to go.

How far back until it 90*'s up?

I never really thought of that, but there is only 5 inches from the front (rim) you see on the pics to the actual flue. From the front to the back of the flue is, of course, 13 inches. When I bought the kit, I ordered a 2 part tee. I think that I will have enough room assemble it with it being that close. Then again, I have never worked with the tee.

Putting the snout on a tee through that opening will be a piece of cake. Unlike mine that has a two foot long thimble. If the tee has the band connections inside the snout, like most do these days, it is even easier.

BrotherBart said:
Putting the snout on a tee through that opening will be a piece of cake. Unlike mine that has a two foot long thimble. If the tee has the band connections inside the snout, like most do these days, it is even easier.

Do I just put a trim ring around the pipe and over the existing thimble then? I take it my black stove pipe will slide right into the snout itself and that's all I need?

Webmaster said:
That sounds right....the trim ring will close off the other area - you can stuff high temp insulation or a very thick door gasket in the 1" space inside the thimble if you like. It will at least hold the pipe in the center.

Thank you.

I feel like I am really starting to sound stupid, so I apologize. Got my liner kit today (damaged), but while I had some time I was looking at the 2 part tee and my black stove pipe. According to everything I have read so far, all of the crimped sides of black stove pipe should face the woodstove, correct? My snout is the exact same diameter at the female end of the stove pipe. What do I need to do to make this connection? If I use a double male connector, the male end only goes in as far as the end of the crimping, is that acceptable? Won't the gaps from the crimping cause air to be induced into the flue?

The crimped ends face the woodstove. That's so that any creosote will drip down into the stove and not down the outside of the stove pipe. You can fill the gaps at the collar with a little furnace cement. Each pipe joint gets 3 screws holding it together.

Hi, I used a 6" male to male conector into the tee. Also the tee was simple to put together.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.