Help - wood stove not putting out heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

midwesterner1980

Jan 16, 2024
Ohio
Got a new house with a wood stove in the basement. The stove is an old Sierra 1200. The outlet is a stainless liner that is the same diameter as the outlet hole on the back of the stove. The liner goes back and up through a brick chimney. The people we bought it from installed the liner because they were told using the original chimney was a fire hazard.

Anyhow, we've loaded this thing up with good seasoned wood and got it cranking. It's hot right around the stove but it's not generating heat through the room. Is the heat escaping out the chimney? Is there a way to prevent that? There is no damper on the stove or on the chimney. Would we be better off getting a new wood stove? Would really appreciate any input.

How do you know your wood is good and seasoned? What is the moisture content of the wood? Is the basement insulated? If not most of your heat is going to warm up the foundation and the earth around it.

Not sure of the actual moisture content of the wood. We bought the wood from a reputable firewood salesmen, so I'm hoping the wood isn't the issue. Is there an easy way to test?

The basement is insulated. It's a ranch built into the side of a hill with a walkout basement. The basement is also already heated. The primary heating source is propane but we would like to use wood more.

Are there any red flags with the general set up that would create heat issues or should I be more focused on the wood we are trying to burn?

We bought the wood from a reputable firewood salesmen
I like that quote, are there any other kind of firewood salesmen?
You say the stove is hot, how hot? Did you have the chimney inspected before burning? Usually low heat output is poor quality wood, restricted air flow in or restricted smoke flow out.
What stove is this?

Reactions: kborndale
We bought the wood from a reputable firewood salesmen
You say the stove is hot, how hot? Did you have the chimney inspected before burning? Usually low heat output is poor quality wood, restricted air flow in or restricted smoke flow out.
What stove is this?

Not sure of the actual moisture content of the wood. We bought the wood from a reputable firewood salesmen, so I'm hoping the wood isn't the issue. Is there an easy way to test?

The basement is insulated. It's a ranch built into the side of a hill with a walkout basement. The basement is also already heated. The primary heating source is propane but we would like to use wood more.

Are there any red flags with the general set up that would create heat issues or should I be more focused on the wood we are trying to burn?

Your wood is most likely the problem. Every firewood seller tells you their wood is ready to burn but in reality it rarely is. You normally need to leave it stacked for a year to dry it before it's dry enough to use.

Reactions: midwesterner1980
What stove is this?
Good point. I guess he's reputable in the sense that he supplies a lot of folks we know well and everyone continues to use him in spite of a lot of competition.

The chimney was inspected during the purchase process and everything checked out fine. The only info we got from sellers is that they had to install a lining when they bought the house because the inspector during their purchase process required it due to previous chimney fires. The liner comes straight out of the back of the stove into a tee. One leg goes up and out and the other is capped off.

The stove is a Sierra 1200.

If you think it's the wood go buy some wood bricks at TSC or something similar and see how the heat is. During the purchase process inspection dd they clean the chimney? Is there a cap on the chimney? Can you see it and it's clear? Remove the cap on the T and look inside and up the chimney.

If you think it's the wood go buy some wood bricks at TSC or something similar and see how the heat is. During the purchase process inspection dd they clean the chimney? Is there a cap on the chimney? Can you see it and it's clear? Remove the cap on the T and look inside and up the chimney.

I'll do the inspection and try the bricks. I do believe it was cleaned but I will confirm. Thank you for the help.

Pick up a decent quality stove top thermometer and place it on the sloped face so that you know how hot the stove is getting. The old Sierra is not going to be very efficient. It's a simple, pre-EPA design.