Help: Zero clear F/P choices....???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Aug 24, 2010
southern NH
just found this site...am planning a 2000 sf new home, tight design...want to use a zero clear fireplace for both supplemental heat and for use as fireplace, open doors....looking at Napoleon nz3000 or 6000 or Accucraft out of minn...both have fresh air supply and ability to circ air to room and even into the duct-work of house...seems like a lot of experience on this forum...any suggestions for brands of zero clearance f/p??? i don't want masonary chimney...can't afford and not very efficient...want a fireplace that runs forever without major problems...what say ye???? thanks for your help...sm

sm said:
just found this site...am planning a 2000 sf new home, tight design...want to use a zero clear fireplace for both supplemental heat and for use as fireplace, open doors....looking at Napoleon nz3000 or 6000 or Accucraft out of minn...both have fresh air supply and ability to circ air to room and even into the duct-work of house...seems like a lot of experience on this forum...any suggestions for brands of zero clearance f/p??? i don't want masonary chimney...can't afford and not very efficient...want a fireplace that runs forever without major problems...what say ye???? thanks for your help...sm

Another one that matches your listed "points" on the others would be the Kozyheat Z42; it has a blower option, outside-air intake, and can be ducted. It is an EPA approved high-efficiency (tax-credit elligible) non-catalytic fireplace.

I have one on order now. The thing that made me settle on the Kozyheat was the bang for the buck. I got mine without the blower kit. I got the cast, double-door model, and with 18' of duratech class A chimney and all cost me $3400, which was less than the cost of the stove alone from many other manufacturers I looked at.

If you're looking for a fireplace that is high-efficiency and eligible for the tax-credit you can also look at Fireplace Extraordinair (catalytic type) and Quadrafire.

I can testify to the Heat n Glo Northstar. In my new construction house, just slightly bigger than yours, it can keep the whole house warm by itself.

mitchinpa said:
I can testify to the Heat n Glo Northstar. In my new construction house, just slightly bigger than yours, it can keep the whole house warm by itself.
Do you have to stoke it often or are you keeping the whole house warm and getting longer burns out of it?

My house is 3800 SF and I'm hoping to heat 90+% with wood this winter using the Kozyheat at 60kbtu/hr (don't plan to heat the basement as much as the upstairs). I've been wondering what sort of burn-time I'll get heating that much space (Primary heating area will only be ~1700 sf, but there will be some heat going to other parts of the house).

dannynelson77 said:
Another option might be what I have. The Osburn Stratford. EXTREMELY satisifed with ours in our 2,500 sq ft home. AND, I believe it is the cheapest ZC fireplace option out there.

http://www.osburn-mfg.com/product.aspx?CategoId=19&Id=439
Approximately how much does one of those run? Looks like a nice unit, has almost everything the Kozyheat has. If it really is cheaper where was your suggestion when I was asking about ZC fireplaces?

Once I get it going good, I can load it up and not touch it again for 5 to 6 hours. My floor plan is pretty open (there is a large open foyer which allows the heat to easily get to the 2nd level), and I do have a ceiling fan going in the family room where it resides. Between the blower on the unit and my ceiling fan, my upstairs bedrooms are only 4 or 5 degrees cooler than the entire first floor. Even with the coldest nights we had last year, my house maintained 70 degrees.

CountryBoy19 said:
dannynelson77 said:
Another option might be what I have. The Osburn Stratford. EXTREMELY satisifed with ours in our 2,500 sq ft home. AND, I believe it is the cheapest ZC fireplace option out there.

Approximately how much does one of those run? Looks like a nice unit, has almost everything the Kozyheat has. If it really is cheaper where was your suggestion when I was asking about ZC fireplaces?

Ha. Sorry CountryBoy I missed that one. I went through this same process last year and I looked at EVERY option there is. Got the Osburn Stratford for $2,000 and that included the blower kit. I mean for the price its a steal. I can't say enough good things about the unit. Great quality and very easy to operate. And puts out the heat......

dannynelson77 said:
CountryBoy19 said:
dannynelson77 said:

Ha. Sorry CountryBoy I missed that one. I went through this same process last year and I looked at EVERY option there is. Got the Osburn Stratford for $2,000 and that included the blower kit. I mean for the price its a steal. I can't say enough good things about the unit. Great quality and very easy to operate. And puts out the heat......
Ah, it's ok. I was just giving you a hard time. I thought I looked at them all but I guess I missed that one. Anyways, I ended up going with the Kozyheat for $2400 with no blower. I think that isn't really too bad compared to the Osburn.

Is that a catalytic? If so maybe that's why I missed it, I was looking for non-cat.

No its non-cat. Did you look at the Enerzone ZC 2.5? The Osburn is the same unit. Just at a cheaper price tag because its under the Osburn brand. And yes that is a good price for the Kozyheat.

Just curious, why didnt you get the blower? If mine didnt have the blower it wouldnt be very useful.....

Great thread guys/girls:...now i have things to research for my zc f/p to heat my 2000 sf new home....but i do have couple questions:...
1. can you REALLY heat your whole home?? i mean bathrooms warm and all???
2. does anyone have input on the Napoleon zc f/p's??? or Accucraft??? they are bigger and more money but are they worth it?
and 3. do the Osburn, Regency and Kozyheat f/p have real fire bricks or panels and how much to replace when cracked???
i have had a heatilator with reg four doors, and the panels of fake brick are over $400 to replace...
thanks again for input....steve, (the thread-starter)

dannynelson77 said:
Just curious, why didnt you get the blower? If mine didnt have the blower it wouldnt be very useful.....
I plan to duct it into my air distribution system to help heat the house more evenly. When I don't want the heat spread all over the house the unit without the blower should be enough to heat the room that it's in.

I just couldn't justify $300 for a blower that I likely wouldn't use that often. I can always add the blower later if I decide I need it.

sm said:
Great thread guys/girls:...now i have things to research for my zc f/p to heat my 2000 sf new home....but i do have couple questions:...
1. can you REALLY heat your whole home?? i mean bathrooms warm and all???
2. does anyone have input on the Napoleon zc f/p's??? or Accucraft??? they are bigger and more money but are they worth it?
and 3. do the Osburn, Regency and Kozyheat f/p have real fire bricks or panels and how much to replace when cracked???
i have had a heatilator with reg four doors, and the panels of fake brick are over $400 to replace...
thanks again for input....steve, (the thread-starter)

Kozyheat has real firebrick; although some of them aren't really standard sizes (you could always cut the size you need if you plan to just get a big box of replacement bricks). It has a refractory panel above the secondary burners to support the firebrick that is above that but you shouldn't have any problems with that because nothing ever lays on, touches, or hits that panel so unless you hit it while doing something in the fireplace it should never have a problem. And if it does break it's only one panel as opposed to several. I'm not sure on the cost of it though, maybe look at Kozyheat's warranty, it may be covered. If not contact them and ask how much that panel costs.

For those of you with the Osburn Stratford unit, are you still satisfied? Ive been going over all my options, and i cant seem to find another unit in that price range that claims the sq footage coverage im looking for. Im always scared to purchase the cheapest unit, but i also cant see spending 4k for models like the Vermont Castings Sequoia.

I am in the final stages of installing my Napoleon NZ3000, I can tell you I am very satisfied with the overall construction of the unit. I looked at several other modern ZC fireplaces, this one wins in the looks department HANDS DOWN. Just a beautiful stove, all the way around. I'll be resurrecting an older thread I started when I began the construction of this chase/hearth, as soon as I get my ceiling done in that room. The fireplace install will be started in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to get it done!

Note that the Napoleon High Country is not an EPA fireplace. Make sure it can be installed in your area. Some issues have been reported with the door hinges and some complaints registered about poor air wash. If you go with the Napoleon, it's recommended that the chase be insulated, particularly if you live in an area with cold winters.

For alternatives, there are a lot of good EPA units on the market to choose from like RSF, BIS, Kozy, FPX, Quadrafire etc..

Note that the Napoleon High Country is not an EPA fireplace. Make sure it can be installed in your area.

The High Country is the NZ6000, BeGreen. The NZ3000 is completely EPA compatible, I know that for a fact as we got the tax rebate when we purchased ours. As far as the door hinges, the part that is on the door themselves are fine, but receiving side of the hinge (the part that bolts onto the stove itself) aren't the highest quality. I will be having hinges made by my buddy who owns a machine shop, probably not until next year. That is probably the single thing about these stoves that I do not like. Not that the hinge doesn't work, just that they could have been made better.

Correct Scotty. The OP mentioned they are looking at both the NZ3000 and NZ6000. FWIW Napoleon calls them both High Country, but the NZ3000 is EPA certified. Not sure about the Accucraft.I haven't heard of it.

Good to hear you are beefing up the hinge receivers. Can you take some shots and post them when done?

http://napoleonfireplaces.com/products/nz3000-high-country/

Good to hear you are beefing up the hinge receivers. Can you take some shots and post them when done?

Absolutely, sir! Won't be for a while yet, but you can bet I'll post when I do the job. I'm probably going to get him to mill the receivers out of solid stainless (or maybe even iron), if it goes well, I will get a price on them if anyone else is interested.....

Status
Not open for further replies.