Helping out the neighbor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Last year at this same place I cut up some limbs that had broken in a storm. Same thing happened this year and two trees had their tops broken right off. I still have to get the one in the second picture but don't think it will be hard to do. Just have to watch it doesn't catch that power line.

To get an idea of the size of this white pine, the first and last pictures are of the same tree but in the last picture you can see the atv and trailer so can get a better idea of the size.
White pine at Lyle's-1.JPG White pine at Lyle's-3.JPG White pine at Lyle's-4.JPG

No, they don't burn wood. It will probably go to a fellow who makes maple syrup. He got all of it last year and loves it for the evaporator. If he doesn't want it, then it goes into our stove.

My FIL makes maple syrup in Pennsylvania. He burns pine for that, plus all of his other "reject wood." It's great to sit in that building by the fire smelling the maple syrup!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I agree red oak. I look forward to spring every year and visiting the sugar shack. Next spring I'll have to visit two of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.