Here is a question...about tree work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rygar

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2013
So I am currently half way through get 3 nice big oaks getting cut down. the guys have been good, look to be a skillful set, but there are now some pretty good divits and some tire marks.

am i out of line of i request that they fix any damage priort to completion of payment? i just want the holes fixed, dont expect new seed or chit like that.

I had a big oak cut not too long ago, in the back of our back yard. The truck with the bucket on it snapped a 4x4 that was a divider at the end of my drive way. A huge branch fell on our fence and crashed a fence panel. The crew foreman went to HD for a new 4x4 and took $100 off the bill for a new fence panel. I did not even have to ask for it. I think that if the company you hired is decent you can ask.

I would expect some minor divots and tire tracks. I had a crew take out a few trees and when they dropped one it knocked over a stack of firewood. They started restacking it and I stopped them. Stuff happens. Bringing large trees down is gonna cause some damage to the surrounding area.

I doubt if they're responsible for tire ruts and divots. Most contracts state that.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
Just a question..what did you think large equipment rolling on your lawn would do? To be fair to the contractor, you should have asked them ahead of time, not after the fact. They likely would have passed on the job, or told you they can fix the lawn for another $*** bucks.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
You should have seen what this one did to the driveway.

bigfoot.jpg

They named it Big Foot.

we had some guys come by and do some tree work for the city, and they dropped a piece on our fence. guy came back on a saturday, with 9 new pickets, a box of nails, and a hammer. He apologies he wasn't able to paint the fence to match.

i told him not to worry, since the pickets were probably broken in the first place, but he refused to leave without fixing the broken pickets. He even fixed some that were nowhere near where the branches fell.

are they leaving you the oak? i might not worry about the holes if they are leaving you the wood

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
we had some guys come by and do some tree work for the city, and they dropped a piece on our fence. guy came back on a saturday, with 9 new pickets, a box of nails, and a hammer. He apologies he wasn't able to paint the fence to match.

i told him not to worry, since the pickets were probably broken in the first place, but he refused to leave without fixing the broken pickets. He even fixed some that were nowhere near where the branches fell.

are they leaving you the oak? i might not worry about the holes if they are leaving you the wood

Yep, they left the oak. Splitting it up bit by bit.

IMHO, property damage (broken fences etc) is in a different ball-park than normal stuff from cutting trees. Most crews will take extra precaution to minimize the divots and tire tracks but the fact of the matter is, they are going to happen, they are normal, and in my neck of the woods repairing them is not considered in the cost of the tree removal unless specifically requested, at which point you can expect to pay for that service.

If your damage is severe then I would say it's unusual and they should fix it but I would have to see pictures to give my opinion of what level is normal and what is abnormal.

i am keeping the wood. ill send pictures of before and after once they finished. we got well over an inch of rain yesterday so they should be coming back tomorrow. i would like to push it back some more as i wont be home. ill have to clear out the leaves as well.

Knowing that heavy vehicles do not float, I schedule log loads for delivery after the frost is set-in. Plus, my preference is to process in the single digits fahrenheit.

I do tree work for a living. A reasonable amount of divots from the wood is acceptable. Tire marks. Unless they are severe ruts, this is normal. Not to sound harsh, I would get a couple bags of top soil and seed and call it a day.

Reactions: heavy hammer
i can grab some pictures later today. front yard has some nice track marks about 6" deep for a good run. some divots are a good 8=9" and then this one section looks so torn up that i dont even know. i mentioned to the guy that i didnt want like deep track marks and he said he would use mats which he didnt. there are definitely track marks all over the back, but those are minimal and like you said to be expected.

i am only talking about like bad damage. and a couple bags of top soil wont fix this.

Well if they were to use turf mats and didn't, which caused excessive ruts, they should be held liable and do restoration.

Around here most will use plywood, believe it or not. The ground men just move it along as the truck comes in.

I have been using a 60k lb off road bucket to do our line work these last four or five months we have big black mats we use to not destroy yards the size of plywood. If they had mats or said they were going to use them and didn't they should fix it I know we would. A little damage is going to happen but ruts like that need fixed. We did get permission this fall to use our two big off road buckets to work on some tall steel poles in this one back yard we told him we probably were going to destroy some stuff. We did promise to fix it which they actually hired professional landscapers to repair it. Buried one truck but got it out with the other and the owner was real cool, plus got some nice landscaping. I say talk with them most people are pretty reasonable. No one wants to destroy someone's property if they can avoid it.

I have been using a 60k lb off road bucket to do our line work these last four or five months we have big black mats we use to not destroy yards the size of plywood. If they had mats or said they were going to use them and didn't they should fix it I know we would. A little damage is going to happen but ruts like that need fixed. We did get permission this fall to use our two big off road buckets to work on some tall steel poles in this one back yard we told him we probably were going to destroy some stuff. We did promise to fix it which they actually hired professional landscapers to repair it. Buried one truck but got it out with the other and the owner was real cool, plus got some nice landscaping. I say talk with them most people are pretty reasonable. No one wants to destroy someone's property if they can avoid it.
We also use the black turf mats, they're great . Half the weight of plywood and don't absorb water .

Status
Not open for further replies.