heritage at 600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splitoak

Nov 6, 2013
Jefferson Co, WV
Well almost....lol

Attachments

• 20140105_163148.jpg
    20140105_163148.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 138
Is that the upper limit recommended for the Heritage?

Yes it is...it actually peaked higher over 600...I'm heating 1300 sq. Ft with 12' ceilings. ..lot of air mass....tryn to get it warm for the overwrite burn......yknow lawyers write the guidelines for the stove....less liability.....this is the hottest I have ever had the stove...let me tell you...it was uncomfortable to get close..lol..cheers!

I should hope 1300SF is no big deal, the stove is rated for 1900 and made in VT.

Lawyers may write the 600 degre max limit but those same lawyers will laugh at you wen you complain of cracked stones. That's the result of overfire, not some sort of house fire but damage to the stove from your operating methods that are well documented now. After stones crack, the next failure mode on the heritage is that the whole top sags down.

The stove is fine...there have been documented cases of this stove over 600 degrees......Mr. Browning bar..........

You dont buy a Porsche to drive it @ 50 mph do ya...lol. hearthstone makes some of the best stoves in the country.....I think it can handle it....

Splitoak, you remind me of the first time we got up almost to 700 (recommended high for our stove). It was fun at first but then I began getting a bit nervous. It stopped climbing, I think at 680 or 690. Relief! And yes, we know of several who have had stoves like ours well over 700 but it is still best to follow the manufacturers guidelines.

I agree...I don't fire the stove like this normally....jus have to push her when it gets really cold....I believe this stove is quite capable of its max temp of 600.....my heat pump in this part of my house took a crap.....the heritage is doing a good job if keep in my family warm...

You dont buy a Porsche to drive it @ 50 mph do ya...lol. hearthstone makes some of the best stoves in the country.....I think it can handle it....

A porsche can certainly go 50 within the manufacturer's guidelines. I hope you aren't the type that would take that same porsche and bounce the tach off of redline to try and prove some sort of point.

I owned your stove and it was good, not the best. If you need to run the stove near 600 then you bought the wrong stove, should have looked for the next size or two larger. That heritage is quite happy loafing along at 400.

I regularly ran the Heritage at 550-600. Sometimes it top out higher than that. It suffered no damage and was in very good condition when I sold it.

Highbeam is correct, if you need to run the stove that hot to maintain comfortable temps in your home, you need a larger stove. When running at those temp, you are only getting 4-5 hours of usable heat before you need to reload the stove again. Six hours at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.