Heritage Tucson question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
I picked up this stove. Don’t know anything about gas stoves but I just wondered if this looks right. Looking through the chimney adapter on it there is a gap at the back of that area that is open to the room. Is this right or is it missing a part?
E5D2EDBB-8072-48FE-8808-71BD65E816EA.jpeg

Sorry I’m not at home right now so won’t be able to check for a rating plate until later. I believe it is b-vent. It came with 16’ of chimney pipe. No manual. I’m looking for one on my phone.

This is a pic from the previous owner. It’s not a complete picture though. I’ll get something better when I get home

EFADBF8A-66AB-4BC8-8919-7CC0D41D0D5A.jpeg

I think the manual and parts diagram for that stove (Tucson Model 8720 ?) are here

From the manual and parts diagram, it looks like the stove has a draft hood and draft sensor switch (spill switch). From the manual (page 15), it sounds like the draft hood is open to the room at the bottom. Your picture through the chimney adapter may be showing that opening and possibly part of the spill switch.

Good luck, looks like a nice stove!

Thanks for that info. Actually the thing that looks like a wire in the pipe is an electrical cord laying on the floor. It’s just difficult for me to wrap my head around that part of the chimney being open to the air, but I know nothing about these stoves so maybe it’s right. I’m still not home yet so I’ll get some better pics of the back when I get there.

I’m going to take this to the garage and get it up on the bench to test it out. Less wear and tear on my knees. I was planning on using a 20 lb grill bottle and a grill regulator to set it up for test purposes only. Will the grill regulator provide adequate pressure for the stove to operate correctly?

Last edited:
Got home pretty late and was knackered. Here is a shot of the plate and the back. I’ve studied it more and feel confident it is designed this way. Now I just have to get some lp to it and test fire it. I’m just going to hook a grill regulator and tank up to it to test fire. I hope the pressure is right for the gas valve to operate correctly.

C17C9708-6E8E-4292-AC4D-36C9D2164DF9.jpeg 2878EA39-0DF4-4030-919C-6C82FEE121F2.jpeg

Last edited:
Well there is no electrical cord on this thing and I can’t find a plug socket anywhere on it. No blower assemblies either. The guy told me had a blower but I sure can’t find it. Still trying to find fitting that work on it to connect to a grill tank.

Well there is no electrical cord on this thing and I can’t find a plug socket anywhere on it. No blower assemblies either. The guy told me had a blower but I sure can’t find it. Still trying to find fitting that work on it to connect to a grill tank.
Blowers are optional accessories for this model. The only evidence that this ever had a blower attached would be the mounting holes on the lower rear of the unit.

The po said it was LP but he also said it had a blower. Which it doesn’t so hard telling if it’s LP or not.

If it’s NOT, an LP tank isn’t gonna work for you, & an attempt to burn LP in an unconverted NG stove is potentially dangerous. If it was converted, there should be a sticker on the valve and on the rating plate indicating that.

Good to know. I don’t want to singe my whiskers off. I’ll have to take a gander at the valve.

Looking at the pic I took of the plate I can see it has been stamped propane. Should be good to go. I just need to find a female to male reducing adapter. I’ll have to stop by the box store tomorrow and grab one. I had one here but have misplaced it. I spent better part of the day looking. Should have just drove to town and got it but I hate spending $20 in fuel to buy something I know I already have. I reckon that’s what I get for having no organizational skills.

Last edited:
Got it lit and it stayed that way. I didn’t run it long. I reckon I’ll go ahead and get the gas line run, move the pellet stove and put up the b-vent.

F921E579-C4BB-4107-BD75-6C56EB858870.jpeg

Reactions: Lennox65 and DAKSY
What are the options for going through the ceiling? Everything I see is galvanized. It doesn’t look like lowes or Menards carries any painted b vent products.

The set up I got from po is galvanized but he has it going inside painted 6” stove pipe just for onamental purposes. He didn’t include the parts to go through the ceiling for whatever reason.

Basically I need to find some type of decorative flange for the ceiling to dress up the fire stop I reckon.

Btw, what’s all this white fluffy stuff coating everything in the firebox? I’ll vacuum it off but I’m just curious what it is.

Last edited:
Can’t seem to edit my post above. I was also wondering about the log placement. Is that critical. Couldnt get them in the way they were before earlier today. Also they don’t look like the same logs in the pic in the manual. I’m probably overthinking this.

Can’t seem to edit my post above. I was also wondering about the log placement. Is that critical. Couldnt get them in the way they were before earlier today. Also they don’t look like the same logs in the pic in the manual. I’m probably overthinking this.
The white material is a byproduct of incomplete combustion. It usually occurs where the burner flames impinge on the logs.
The log placement is actually critical. They are designed to fit strategically around the burner tube in a way that minimizes flame impingement.

Ok thanks. I’ll keep working for a better fitting. The manual has no direction on how they go. There on only two pieces and the first piece has a witness mark from the pilot so I’m pretty sure how it goes so that only leaves two positions the other one can go.

Attachments

• watermarked_1432839033.pdf
    525.5 KB · Views: 76
Thanks for the file. Drawing of the bottom log is a little vague. My bottom log isn’t big enough to cover the firebox like the picture depicts. No place to insert posts either. Maybe they were broken off and left in the holes over time. I’ll wing it for now and see what happens.

Reactions: Lennox65
I got sidetracked and had to put this on a back burner. I'm looking into it again here and it looks like the pipe clearances are 1" to combustibles for b-vent. Does this sound right?

If so that's going to be a big help going through the ceiling. This pipe is going through the same holes the pellet stove pipe went through. Since the diameter is bigger it's a little closer to everything.

Anyone?

Type B Gas Vent requires a minimum of one-inch clearance to combustibles. This one-inch is a typical clearance for all brands of Type B Vent, but each section of vent pipe is marked with the clearance required by Underwriter Laboratories, so it should be checked.

Thanks for clearing that up. One other question. Does the chimney height have to extend beyond the highest part of the roof like a wood stove chimney does?

Reactions: Lennox65