HersheyLodge Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PA Fire Bug

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2010
Blair County, PA
I was fortunate to attend a conference at the HersheyLodge earlier this week. This large four-sided fireplace was a popular spot even though it was not fueled by real wood. Maybe when I retire, I could provide real wood for the fire and keep it burning for the guests.
fireplace.gif

If all 4 sides are open, and each opening is 2' x 3', that calls for a 19" x 19" flue. You would need an oversized hvac setup to compensate for having almost a 2x2 hole in the roof, but I guess you could. I wouldn't want to pay the heating bill, though! I'd also worry about draft reversal.

If you seal it off on 3 sides it gets more reasonable to deal with, but doesn't look like the picture anymore.

Seal all 4 sides with glass and a gasketed door, and you might have something that adds heat to the structure it's in!

@bholler - Ever work on a multisided open fireplace? How did it work?

Just think if you put gasketed doors on all 4 openings you could burn a cord of wood per load, that would throw some heat.

I understand there are ventless gas fireplace logs (I have one) that require no flue.

Couldn't a gas log setup use a much smaller flue to vent some gases and assuming sufficient CO2 protection, work in such situations?