HI 300 and Coals-

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatalbie

Jan 27, 2007
I did a search and found some great info on large coal beds. I will be incorporating some of the techniques to try and mitigate my issue. A search for HI 300 didn't reveal anyone with the same qustion.

I have a problem getting the stuf at the back of the box to burn well. Even if I have a great fire going and throw some new wood in I can see it is dark at the back of the box. What I get is ash at the front third, coal ash mix middle third and coal in the back. I checked the glass and door gasket and it is pretty tight. I adjusted the door handle to tighten up a bit more. I can't help but think I am getting too much air at the front and not enough at the back.
Could the baffles be clogged.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jim

A couple of questions.

When you say coals in the back, are these charcoal or red coals?

In the rear of the box you say it's dark. Do you mean the firebrick is darkened?

The fire bricks appear to be fine. I am refering to the actual wood coals. They don't burn down like the front and somewhat in the middle. As I get to the back of the box, I get big chunks of charcoal. It seems as though this is relatively new, maybe I'm just not observant enough. I just want to make sure I'm not missing somethin obvious.

Shold I just go ahead and change the gaskets to improve the seal and see if that helps?

Thanks for the reply,
Jim

I have an HI300. I pull the coals forward with a shovel, throw on small splits of pine, and let 'er rip as needed. I find that dry wood and burning a bit hot help reduce the amount of coals produced.

Jim,

If you have charcoal in the last 1/3 of the wood, it almost sound like the wood is not dry enough.

As far as gaskets, have you done the dollar bill test. This will tell you if you need new gaskets.

Are you getting the secondary tubes to burn?
Do you have a thermometer?

As the stove temp gets lower, I start to open the air to get the coals to burn better. I don't throw any wood in until all coals are burt down. Like Adios said, open the draft all the way, rake those charcoal chunks forward and burn them down.

Yep, sounds like wood is a little wet. If you get really good dry wood you will see nothing but fine ash in the morning. With moisture it is clumps...

I have the same stove and know exactly what you are referring to. I have noticed when burning ideal wood, there is nothing but fine ash in the morning... Wet or not ideal wood will leave the black charcoal. Also, i didn't realize the doors have a "double lock" when closing... You can close the door till the handle pops into position, then you can push a little more and it tightens it down. Give her a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.