Hi & how close is close enough? Shed location and configuration questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backburner

May 27, 2009
Canadian Maritimes (NB)
I found this site while researching stoves last fall and thanks for the vast amount of info that you all are posting. Although we both grew up with wood heat (hence the forum name) neither of us paid much attention to the process invovled. We just did whatever "dad said".

A bit about our setup: We bought a Napoleon 1400P in April (on a major sale) and it was installed on an existing corner hearth (Sentinal Chimney (by Selkirk) in an outdoor enclosed chase) in the basement ( :-S ) of a bungalow...wouldn't have been my choice but we're working with what we have. The stove is located in the family room and is 12 by 20 with a spare bedroom located just around the corner. There is a stairwell is opposite to the stove (but 30 feet away from it ~ again, not the best choice). Our house is very airtight (recently confirmed by an energy inspection) but I hope that will be solved by the existing OAK (see...I learned the lingo!) and that we'll be able to move the heat upstairs into the living space with some strategically placed fans. I am looking forward to the burning season as it will be soooo much better than those electric baseboards.

Our family (including the two kids aged 6 and 8) just spent the weekend re-splitting and stacking a 3 cord order of Feb-March cut previously split (furnace splits?) beech and yellow birch. It did have some checks but I know it needs a lot more time...prefereably a whole year but we don't have that time. We stacked it 4.5 feet tall in an exposed (sun and wind) area and I just hope it will be seasoned enough for the fall (well, I guess we don't have any other choice).

Now, finally, to my questions:
1.Where is the best location for a woodshed? I was thinking about 12 feet away. Your thoughts and suggestions?

We have a large population of carpenter ants in our area and I spend a good part of the year trying to keep them out of the house. Would this be close enough for access but far enough for the ants?

2. What is a manageable size I was also wondering if 12 by 8 would be a good size to store enough wood for one season? We'll probably only burn when we are home and most likely not stoke it through the night so I'm thinking between 1 and 2 cord of storage for that year and perhaps larger if you think its warranted. Your thoughts and suggestions?

and 3. Which way is the best way to orient a shed? Your thoughts and suggestions?
Facing south would face away from the

I know this is the first post of many and thanks for all of your help!

I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers. For me, I think that pile is too close. I don't think that you can truly ever control where those carpenter ants travel but if they are that close to the house(in your split wood) the easier and quicker they'd be in your house.

12X8...Too small...again, my opinion.

First off, congrats on the purchase . . . I am sure you will be much happier this winter . . . especially when you see your electric bills.

The Good: Great job on taking the time to research things ahead of time . . . it sounds like you're well ahead of the game in terms of knowing what works and what doesn't. Also, good . . . having a well-insulated home which is one of the first bits of advice that I picked up here -- that is, it is far better to make sure the home is well-insulated and then go with alternative heat rather than getting a wood stove or pelletstove and then "wasting" all that heat. Perhaps the best bit of good news here is the fact that it sounds as though you have some good wood that is well on its way to being seasoned and your stacking technique sounds like it should insure some well-seasoned wood by the time colder weather returns.

The Bad: As you noted, a basement installation isn't always the best installation, but on the flip side it is in your family room where you'll spend most of your time I assume when you're up and about.

The Ugly: The ugly truth . . . well maybe not ugly . . . is that I can almost guarantee you will end up burning more than you think you will. You sound a lot like me -- I too figured I would only burn on evenings and weekends while home . . . and in the end pretty much burned wood 24/7 for the comfort and for the savings . . . once you learn to run the stove and trust the stove you will most likely do the same which means . . . get more wood than you expect you'll need since it is always better to have more than you need than to run out halfway through March.

Now in regards to your shed questions.

Distance . . . a bit close, but then again I figure my shed will be 15-20 feet from the corner of my house (I'm building it using the foundation from a gigantic metal swingset that was there) . . . about as far as my stacks of wood from last year. I had no issues with bugs, but if you're concerned you can always treat the area near the house.

Size . . . go bigger than what you expect you'll need . . . once again there is a pretty good chance you will find that you'll be burning more often than you expect . . . and even if you don't burn more than you planned you'll have more space for "next year's" wood.

Welcome to the woodshed. You may have special considerations because of your location...so I recommend asking some old timer that knows stuff. Otherwise I'd just put it where it was most convenient...just so you know I'm not one of the great thinkers here. Mostly I do what works for us and lean-to's seem to get most bang for the bucks.

It's great to have it pointed into the wind and at the sun and all that happy crap. But mainly you want to be able to get your truck close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.