HI300 vs. Alderea T5 insert vs. BK Princess insert: warming shelves and Stirling/Eco fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanG

Feb 25, 2015
Charlottesville, VA
Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster! I've learned a massive amount in a short time so thank you to all of you for your past posts. I have come to a fork in the road. Here is what I would like out of my insert and why I choose the three models in the subject:

What I want in an insert and what I like about the three finalists:

1) - warming shelf on the Hampton HI300 and on the Alderea T5 Insert
2) - spectacular secondary burn from non-cat stoves and mediocre secondary burn from BK
3) - quite blowers (heard the HI300 in store but don't know about the BK and T5)
4) - cast iron for radiant heating in addition to blower convection
5) - long overnight burn times
6) - ability to load N/S and E/W

What I want to know:

1) - does the warming shelf get hot enough on the HI300, T5 and BK P insert to run a Vulcan Striling Fan?
2) - does the BK Princess insert have enough of a shelf for the 3" fan base to sit on?
3) - what are the blowers like on the T5 and BK Princess?
4) - I really want to be able to hang damp/wet gloves, socks etc from the mantel above any of these stoves and be able to dry them like I used to on my radiators. The mantel has the required clearances from the manuals I've read so I'm hoping to use hooks/nails to create a drying space for wet kid gear.
5) - will all three of these stoves produce roughly equal radiant heat within three feet to dry coats and snow pants hung over whatever kid fence I put up in front of the stove?
6) - lastly, does the Clydesdale have space for a fan? I don't see a warming shelf on that stove but I could forgo the shelf if the others won't produce the heat required for the additional fans.

The reason I want the Stirling fan is because I'm going to need to be able to push the heat out of that room and want to supplement the blowers capacity. Not to mention I just think they are really cool.

I'm pretty sure that any of these stoves is going provide good heat for us right now but if you are curious and enjoy the engineering puzzles you can read about my home's layout etc... below.

Cheers,

Sean

--------------------------------------------------House layout specifics below-------------------------------------------------------

We recently moved from a house with gas heated radiators to a home with a heat pump that can't do it's job based on the fact that it only has registers in the ceilings. The house was built in 1966 and at the time had baseboard heating and the central air was solely used to cool. Over time the baseboard heat was removed and last owners either dealt with the cold or paid very high electricity bills. I refuse to do either. I would prefer to be warm.

We live in central VA at the foot of the Blue Ridge mountains. Winters are not terribly cold save for a few weeks like this past one where overnight lows are in the low teens to single digits. Normally average temps are hover around or just below freezing. We have a 1900 sq. foot home with an open living room on the entire left side of the house, left of the front door. Stairs are centrally located just left of the front door. Hallway straight back from front door to back door/deck. There is a 4' opening just right of the front door that leads to a dining room and behind that is the kitchen. There is a den which is to the right of the kitchen through standard 3' door opening with a closed transom above it. 8 or 8.5 ft. ceiling throughout. No ceiling fans but there is a Mitsubishi mini-split at the back of the living room at the far end of the house and directly down a hallway from the den opening.

The insulation in the attic is poor and will be remedied in the spring. The walls seem OK but could be better. Not planning on doing anything with them. The house has all new windows which appear to be very tight but the den is cold as it has three exterior walls and a NNE exposure. It's about 50-55 F in there now with the heat pump set to 68. T-stat is located on second floor. Second floor stays tolerable. We like to sleep cool anyway.

I don't know anything about the Stirling fan, but they normally go right on wood stoves, right? I don't think the HI300 cast iron shelf gets hot enough. Wait, I'll aim my IR gun at it. 280F
The fan is quiet on low but loud on high, but really kicks out the heat then if you want it.
I don't think the Clydesdale loads 16" splits N/S.

Hi velvetfoot,

Well, at 280F the Vulcan Stirling Fan would start spinning since they can function as low as ~250F. You're right about the Clydesdale. I don't believe it is deep enough to allow 16" N/S splits. However, that is not necessarily a deal breaker. It's more that the Clydesdale doesn't have the shelf. Thanks for taking a read on the shelf for me. I appreciate that. How hot was the stove itself running? Was it before a nightly reload or were you burning hotter for the evening?

Thanks,

Sean

It was fairly well loaded. I just put several more on the fire before bed and it's now 290 or so. Bear in mind, the shelf just lifts off.
There have been some threads on the stirling fan, and I imagine you've read them. I look them as more of a novelty. I wouldn't base my decision on that, but that's just me.
I really love my insert though. The cast iron has a certain look. I think the Regency 2400 (?) is the same stove without the cast iron look. Remember that the cast iron are decorative panel-the hi300 is a steel insert.
I'm not familiar with the other inserts you mentioned, but I would shoot for getting the biggest one you can fit into your fireplace, along with whatever other requirements you have. Regency makes a 3100 I believe that's bigger.
If the local shop carries Hampton + Regency, the easiest thing would be to ask him. It was quite the luxury for me to pay for someone to do the whole job. More expensive, yes, but easy on me. :)

Hello sean g. I have the hampton i300 and have 0 complaints. Ibhave read about sagging burn tubes and warped baffles. Ive read the smoke sheild bends and cracks. My stove is only one year old ive burned about 5 cords through it and it runs clean and easily managed. I have a steamer on top and it doesnt boil but def gets hot enough to steam and add some needed moisture to the air. The highest point of the cast trim I suppose you could hang sock on it but then the room would smell like feet. Im telling u all this because I am selling the stove. Im moving and most people on long island have no time to save money or chop wood . Its easier to sell a house with an open fireplace because most people are lazy. I love this stove heats my entire 1925 cape prob 2100 sq feet.anyway if your interested we can talk more

Hello sean g. I have the hampton i300 and have 0 complaints. Ibhave read about sagging burn tubes and warped baffles. Ive read the smoke sheild bends and cracks. My stove is only one year old ive burned about 5 cords through it and it runs clean and easily managed. I have a steamer on top and it doesnt boil but def gets hot enough to steam and add some needed moisture to the air. The highest point of the cast trim I suppose you could hang sock on it but then the room would smell like feet. Im telling u all this because I am selling the stove. Im moving and most people on long island have no time to save money or chop wood . Its easier to sell a house with an open fireplace because most people are lazy. I love this stove heats my entire 1925 cape prob 2100 sq feet.anyway if your interested we can talk more

Hi Bayside,

I sent you a PM.
Sean

It was fairly well loaded. I just put several more on the fire before bed and it's now 290 or so. Bear in mind, the shelf just lifts off.
There have been some threads on the stirling fan, and I imagine you've read them. I look them as more of a novelty. I wouldn't base my decision on that, but that's just me.
I really love my insert though. The cast iron has a certain look. I think the Regency 2400 (?) is the same stove without the cast iron look. Remember that the cast iron are decorative panel-the hi300 is a steel insert.
I'm not familiar with the other inserts you mentioned, but I would shoot for getting the biggest one you can fit into your fireplace, along with whatever other requirements you have. Regency makes a 3100 I believe that's bigger.
If the local shop carries Hampton + Regency, the easiest thing would be to ask him. It was quite the luxury for me to pay for someone to do the whole job. More expensive, yes, but easy on me. :)

Thanks for the update Velvetfoot!

I think I may just have to forget about the Stirling engine fan as a solution to moving additional warm air generated from the insert. I'll let the fans do their job and if someone wants to get me a birthday present I'll have an idea for them.

Looks like the warming shelf gets warm enough to steam water so that is a benefit as our house is quite dry right now as well and with the addition of a stove it will only dry out more.

The local dealer has a floor model Regency i2400 which is the same stove as you and Bayside have but it's just not as nice to look at. However, I really like what I've read about performance from these units and I don't think I'll have a problem achieving an overnight burn. I want to minimize the time I have to tend the stove as much as possible hence the need for a insert that is big enough and efficient enough to handle the 8+ hour burn/heat cycle so that I can keep it going 24/7. I just need to be able to have enough hot coals to throw some wood on, tend it for 20 minutes and go.

I think I may just have to forget about the Stirling engine fan as a solution to moving additional warm air generated from the insert. I'll let the fans do their job and if someone wants to get me a birthday present I'll have an idea for them.
That's a good approach.

No problem with your burning plan. The air lever is very controllable and you'll figure out what the sweet spot is for how much coals you want in the morning-if you have too many it's harder to load it up.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course. It was easier to sell my wife on the look of the cast iron.
It's interesting how they glam up the Hampton, and kind of make the coffee table the center of attention for the Regency, lol. I guess it's also available in a glossy finish and a fancier door.

I2400-C-610x340.aspx

HI300D-1872x1040.aspx

Last edited:
Let me add something else. In looking at the Regency, it seems to have a less fancy door. I did have to adjust the latch on the Hampton once. Also, the door only opens 90 degrees, which took some getting used to at first. Although it adds a cleaner look, in the long run, fancy might not be best. That could be a really really long run though.

Status
Not open for further replies.