hickory floor stain issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davem3261

Apr 10, 2014
Coventry, ct
This is what I got at lumber liquidators. I installed the same stuff in the 2nd floor of my house and it didn't look like this. What do you think happened. I know I didn't get it wet. Lumber liquidators is giving me a hard time saying I improperly stored it. The heartwood has no staining but the sap wood is unusable.

Attachments

• 1422889339186.jpg
    1422889339186.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 215
That is what is called sap-stain, and it most likely occurred on the log-yard when it was in log form. If you bought "rustic grade" flooring it is an acceptable defect. It is an unacceptable defect in anything that is not "Rustic Grade". A lot of Hickory has been sold as "Rustic Grade" in the last 10 years. This would not occur once lumber was dried, as long as it did not get wet in your storage.....it is not your fault. By the way I believe your flooring is in fact "rustic grade"..... note all the other "defects" in it.

So that must mean that it is a design preference at a certain price point...... But if this is not what you want, take it back ASAP, I'm sure it's acceptable to some....... That's what I would do....

They had their manager take a look at the pictures I sent them and they are going to take it back and order more is the stuff in the warehouse is ok. I bought #1 and it definitely shouldn't look like this. I installed the same stuff in another area of my house and it is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.