Hickory infested with wood beetle. The remedy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I've got Hickory that was dropped last year. It was stored in rounds over the winter. Did not have time to split it. Now I see powder on it and larva in the outer layers of wood when splitting. The bark does not come easily.
I'm trying to split it fairly small, like 3 by 4 inches, and stack it in the area exposed to the sun. Is this OK? Any other advice on wood like this?
Some pictures.

CCD55DC5-9D1B-44D9-A5E9-C97484D8D12D.jpeg 711494B2-8DCD-4CD7-B7A3-30FE281A3DF3.jpeg 0D544FB9-1379-4DC0-A5BA-611D2BEBFF97.jpeg E4A5CBEC-2078-40BA-962F-00B37B01E393.jpeg C0C1B773-BD00-4ECD-B453-88968B26E038.jpeg

I’d stack that wood under cover and not worry about the bugs. My opinion in general is that once the wood is dry most bugs become less of a thing. I believe some types stay in wood that is dry though. Like with all firewood, I’d try to not have too much stored indoors at a time to minimize risk of bug issues in the house.
Personally, I would not consider the use of any pesticides on firewood. Mostly completely unnecessary in my opinion.

Last edited:
I’d stack that wood under cover and not worry about the bugs. My opinion in general is that once the wood is dry most bugs become less of a thing. I believe some types stay in wood that is dry though. Like with all firewood, I’d try to not have too much stored indoors at a time to minimize risk of bug issues in the house.
Personally, I would not consider the use of any pesticides on firewood. Mostly completely unnecessary in my opinion.
Don't have much to add--once the wood is dry bugs tend to leave. I've had this in hickory too. It still burned fine when seasoned.

Yup, BTDT, NBD. Bugs have BTU's too.

Reactions: Dmitry
I have some advice. Don't use any more hickory.

I got a 2 ton load of hickory delivered one time. Really good looking wood, nice and fresh. It was already split but I split it a little smaller and stacked it under the covered woodshed. Woodshed gets afternoon sun and lots of wind, perfect woodshed.
In two years the wood was dry and I went to burn it.

The wood was covered with fine white powder! I split a piece and those little white worms came spilling out. I about fainted, never seen such a thing, and I've been splitting firewood for 42 years. I went ahead and burned it but I was scared to stack the pieces inside the house, didn't want weevils eating my log cabin. I would pile it up on the porch and bring it inside one stick at a time and put it right in the Jotul.

As the guys said, the worms burn just fine.
I know the BTU rating of hickory, great firewood, but no more hickory for me.

Reactions: Dmitry and Tar12