Hickory score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyde S. Dale

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2010
SE PA
My buddy's neighbor had a standing dead tree removed by a tree service and wanted to know if he knew anyone that would take it for firewood. There was nothing but the bark to ID the tree by while standing. No leaves on the dead branches and none on the ground so we tried to guess before it was cut and came up with poplar, ash or hickory based on surrounding trees and the bark. On the day of the cutting, the tree guys said hickory.

Score! It all went to me - my buddy helped buck the logs with his saw and his neighbor had a brand new John Deere CUT with an FEL that he was breaking in and help load the rounds into my truck and trailer. I will be borrowing by brother in law's splitter for these. I took a few whacks with the Fiskars and it just bounced.
IMG_3246.JPG IMG_1502.JPG

Let those rounds sit for a few months until they get all checked up, then split... worlds easier. I also find my old 6 lb maul works better than the Fiskars for tough to split rounds. (Hickory, some beech, elm). It's about even, or the Fiskars beats the maul for the easier to split ones. (ash, pine, maple)

Or use the hydraulic...

Thanks guys. Yes, this is by far my best score in a while. This time last year I scored about the same amount of white oak off of Craigslist. I need the space where the rounds are stacked back and want get this drying since hickory is a 2 year wood so I am gonna use hydraulics. Luckily my BIL's splitter has the hydraulic lift so no breaking my back getting these up on the platform.

My buddy's neighbor had a standing dead tree removed by a tree service and wanted to know if he knew anyone that would take it for firewood. There was nothing but the bark to ID the tree by while standing. No leaves on the dead branches and none on the ground so we tried to guess before it was cut and came up with poplar, ash or hickory based on surrounding trees and the bark. On the day of the cutting, the tree guys said hickory.

Score! It all went to me - my buddy helped buck the logs with his saw and his neighbor had a brand new John Deere CUT with an FEL that he was breaking in and help load the rounds into my truck and trailer. I will be borrowing by brother in law's splitter for these. I took a few whacks with the Fiskars and it just bounced.
View attachment 160636 View attachment 160637
Very, very sweet score. I just scored some hickory and maple myself, loading it today, 4 of these truckloads so far, in 85 degree August heat. I am either crazy or love wood, the latter I think. 08_15.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.