Hickory with a side of mushrooms

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter422

Burning Hunk
Aug 24, 2014
Indiana
Cut up some pignut tonight and got some mushrooms to go with it. Outside edge looked a little soft but middle looked good. That guy was hung up between a couple of Oak limbs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 224
Reactions: pen
Like Red Oak, the Hickory sapwood goes punky pretty quickly. I have some rounds stacked on pallets, though, and that is doing better than if it was lying in the woods.

Funny how the bark can stay on some wood and be Punky, and the bark can fall off other wood and it won't be Punky at all....I've been scrapping some downed red oak on my property and seen it both ways and vice versa....must just be the conditions its sitting in?

Anyway, nice stuff I'm sure it burns nice, never had hickory

Reactions: Scooter422
I split a few last week and wood was good. The only thing that saved that tree was it not laying on the ground. I helped a friend with a big red oak limb last week and the whole thing was mush wood. I didn't anticipate running into a down hickory tree and still have more hedge to cut. Think I will leave the hedge in rounds and just stack them on the ground.

Funny how the bark can stay on some wood and be Punky, and the bark can fall off other wood and it won't be Punky at all....I've been scrapping some downed red oak on my property and seen it both ways and vice versa....must just be the conditions its sitting in?
I'm seeing that here as well. I've gotten some standing dead Red Oaks that were punky, but a couple of the ones that are down, sapwood seems pretty solid (branches are holding these up off the ground.)

I couldn't pass it up. Tree was hung up right by the entrance to the woods. Problem is I only have one 8x4x6 bin to fill and I'm fully loaded. That hickory should fill that easy. I really don't want to pass on the hedge but I know farmer might just push it up in a pile and torch it all. The hedge can lay anywhere and not go bad so might stack on the ground. The wifey thinks I'm done after I fill that last bin. This is my first year getting wood and think I have been very lucky but now I don't want to stop getting it. Not sure if I will ever find osage again and there is more than I need out there so not sure how much more I should get. These are bigger trees too. Probably pretty old.

I'm trying to get everything I can. My lady used to help me load but she's over the wood! Ha! She will be happy this winter when our heating bill is non existent! Maybe she's a spring loader.

Well was going to get some hedge this morning and guy said there were horses back there now soooo that's it no more. Sad day indeed!!

A couple of times I've trimmed off the punk with a hatchet or small chain saw but it takes forever. OTOH, you have some nice clean wood to show for your efforts.
Well was going to get some hedge this morning and guy said there were horses back there now soooo that's it no more. Sad day indeed!!
Maybe you can get it in the future....don't give up! ==c There's quite a bit of Hedge around these parts but I've for the most part been striking out in my attempts to score it. I've got maybe a third of a cord, still not split and stacked it yet. My latest bid for a decent sized Hedge, the guy told me his BIL was going to get it....it's still there so I remain hopeful. When my nephew was visiting from WA, we did get a couple of small branches over there that he's going to use to make adze handles, so that's a score of sorts, I guess...

Yeah I shaved some of that hickory this morning since I wasnt getting any hedge. Some cork wood but quite a bit of good stuff. I should have just rented a u haul and filled er up with hedge. Would have been a wash any way with my truck getting 16 mile per gallon and the wood being 40 min away. Oh well workin on hickory so it's all good. I should be 3 years ahead now.

Status
Not open for further replies.