Hidden electrical

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I ran the cord for my insert through the old cleanout, it is plugged in under the fireplace. It's an exterior chimney and you do have to go outside to unplug it, but it is accessible

I ran the cord for my insert through the old cleanout, it is plugged in under the fireplace. It's an exterior chimney and you do have to go outside to unplug it, but it is accessible
Some do this. It's not code. The service disconnect is supposed to be in the room within xx feet of the appliance. @fbelec @gthomas785 may provide better code details. There is also the question of the cord's temperature rating and whether this should be hardwired with higher temp rated wire.

Some do this. It's not code. The service disconnect is supposed to be in the room within xx feet of the appliance. @fbelec @gthomas785 may provide better code details. There is also the question of the cord's temperature rating and whether this should be hardwired with higher temp rated wire.
You're right about it not being up to code. However in my case it would take me less than 10 seconds to get to the plug. I wondered the same thing about the temperature rating for the wire, but the cord is literally under all the other internal wiring for the fans, so I am assuming that if the wiring inside the stove does not get too hot, the cord directly underneath it should not get too hot either. I may be wrong, but I hope not.

With my insert, having the plug accessible quickly has been helpful. (and the blower is a necessity with my flush insert)
I have used mechanical timers because the snap disc is useless, but now i setup a wifi rated plug. Makes the access a little less needed, but still is nice to be able to cut power by pressing the button if i want. My plug neatly comes out the front side of the insert, tucked neatly into the hearth as it runs along to the nearby plug. Barely notice it, and i think with time you wont care either. But, to each his own.

First of all, NEC 400.8(5) specifically forbids running a flexible cord inside a wall.

As others have said, you cannot bury a receptacle in a wall, it must be accessible. Accessible means you don't have to do any demolition to get to it. It does not have to be visible. Pulling out the insert or opening an access panel is not demolition. So you could put the outlet behind the insert.

Now for disconnecting means, the cord and plug are the disconnecting means for the appliance. In general the disconnecting means must be either
(a) within sight or
(b) lockable.
So you'd think hidden behind the insert would be a no-no, except that if the appliance is rated under 300 watts (which I assume it is?) then you don't even need a disconnect at all and you can use the branch circuit breaker. Clear as mud?

Your building inspector will have the final say so it's best to give them a call and ask whether what you're planning to do would pass inspection.

This is the first mention that this is for an insert. That is a different case. It might be possible to hardwire and put in a service switch instead.

Can you post a picture of the setup showing the proposed location for the hidden outlet?
Hopefully my photos post. I had some 1.5" conduit sitting around.

16764241918538427622739672519214.jpg 16764243841928659717787254311052.jpg

what gthomas785 said is the code. if the fireplace has a cord on it then it is the disconnect. i generally run a mc wire up thru the clean out because romex is not legal to run thru or into brick. then mount a outlet where the fireplace has it's spot to run to (usually the right side) and plug it in. the remote is the on off switch but i usually run a switch on the right side of the fireplace incase the remote doesn't like life anymore

First of all, NEC 400.8(5) specifically forbids running a flexible cord inside a wall.

As others have said, you cannot bury a receptacle in a wall, it must be accessible. Accessible means you don't have to do any demolition to get to it. It does not have to be visible. Pulling out the insert or opening an access panel is not demolition. So you could put the outlet behind the insert.

Now for disconnecting means, the cord and plug are the disconnecting means for the appliance. In general the disconnecting means must be either
(a) within sight or
(b) lockable.
So you'd think hidden behind the insert would be a no-no, except that if the appliance is rated under 300 watts (which I assume it is?) then you don't even need a disconnect at all and you can use the branch circuit breaker. Clear as mud?

Your building inspector will have the final say so it's best to give them a call and ask whether what you're planning to do would pass inspection.
Wouldn't the cord and outlet be considered combustible though?

Last edited: