High Ash North American Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pellet-King said:
Jay, It's all about Endurance!!
I cleaned my stove Sunday it's Friday am and it's really full, GT is very very ashy, but it's a clean ash, no clinkers and glass wipes off with a snot rag

I ran 40 bags of the GT's straight last fall. Never opened the door to the stove. Still could see the burnpot and when I did clean the ashpan was only half to 2/3rd's full. 60 bags would have been a breeze! But I was loosing too much heat and couldn't stand it any longer. Back to the once a week cleaning and piece of mind I'm not wasting fuel out the vent.

Don't mind me. I just like teasing ya! An old whit is like a faithful old mutt. Very dependable stoves. ;-)

1D said:
It's all good Jay, and yuph "tuning," and how you use your stove is what it is all about.
I've learned that when you tune the stove for optimal burn, and can run your stove at higher heat settings ("how you use your stove") you can get satisfactory results out of most brands, so most brands are much the same. But dealing with the mess of more ashy pellets while trying to run your stove on a low heat range most of the time (my situation using high/low) now that can get frustrating.

>:-(

1D

I'd say one of the draw backs to an insert is the tiny ash pan. Mine will hold a ton's worth from an average pellet. M55 steel holds even more. But best to clean once a week for better efficiency!

Jay I hear you about the small ash pan on the inserts, but I can't imagine how many pellets it will take to fill the ash pan of the Maxx.

What a beast!

:vampire:

1D

Status
Not open for further replies.