High temp foil tape?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pell it

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Rhode Island
Curious as to the brand of high temP tape I have seen used inside the burn chamber in pictures here on the forum? The stuff I saw at Home Despot was rated 325*. that seems too low as I have witnessed the oven thermo in my chamber peg past 500*. Is there a higher rated one out there that is readily available? (or that I can order)

Thanks

I would interested in that answet as well as the use. I recall seeing mention of tape used in hoppers but is it safe to put in the burn chamber?

Which posts have mention of or a picture of high temp tape being used in the burn chamber.

I don't believe the foil part would have issues if it was thick enough but the glue would, also the foil wouldn't last too long if it was scraped against often.

There is a tape by 3M that is designed for usage on flue joints one link with specifications http://www.pack-n-tape.com/cart/3m-...er-1-in-x-60-yd-3.6-mil-36-per-case-bulk.html

My local HD does not carry it, I haven't looked at Lowes, Ace Hardware stores have it available (may need to online order it though).

Don't remember ever seeing a thread or a mention of anyone using the furnace tape INSIDE the burnpot. Majority is used for sealing pipes, or smoothing edges inside the hopper.

Maybe OP can give us the links to the threads he's referring to.

I will search fOr the thread. I remember a picture with someone using it to block part of the airwash.

Search Baby Magnum Countryside.

I remember the thread also.... At a Boy Scout camp-out (Klondike) cant search...

pell it said:
Found it. Thanks Dexter!!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/86439/

It was the 325* tape. Don2222 how did it last?

Seeing how Don has not commented on this thread.

You should either PM him asking how it lasted?

Or

Comment on the thread you linked?

My buddy used it on the inside of his pot to block the upper 2 rows of holes (before he had them welded) and it lasted for a couple weeks (non fire side of pot).

The hopper use is fine the temps are not close to the limit, the air wash one is also likely fine for the same reason and the fact it isn't a use that requires the sealant/glue to be below the limit, the burn pot hole covering is a different matter if it was the 325 °F stuff and not the 433 3M tape, the 433 tape may last for a while if the sealant doesn't get enough oxygen as normally I'd expect that use to result in a bonding failure and flaring unless it got a large amount of incoming air flow, using folded over pieces as a space reducer and not counting on the sealant as adhesive by taking advantage of compression between two surfaces would also work (likely for a while if you took care when moving the item (burn pot for instant) that was on one side or the other of the foil).

Status
Not open for further replies.