High temp silicone liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duetech

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2008
S/W MI
I have been wondering about high temp silicone and how well it stands up to 180*f water? I am considering an atmospheric/non-pressurized tank with treated metal panels and a fitted/sealed bottom. I have looked at application rates and am not impressed especially where cost is concerned but it would seem that since it is rated for 500-600*f it should take 180*f pretty well and most silicone caulk is rated 20 years to life time. Any ideas?

I am using Sikkens Sikaflex 221 on my metal panel tank-- which, if you google the spec sheets, is pretty phenomenally durable stuff, and can take the storage temps in stride. I learned about it from someone who was familiar with its use in maritime applications- I figure that if they rely on it for that sort of demanding application, it must be durable

pybyr said:
I am using Sikkens Sikaflex 221 on my metal panel tank-- which, if you google the spec sheets, is pretty phenomenally durable stuff, and can take the storage temps in stride. I learned about it from someone who was familiar with its use in maritime applications- I figure that if they rely on it for that sort of demanding application, it must be durable
Wow, are you saying that you have a tank made of sheet metal panels? I need more details. What kind of metal, how is it joined, what provides the structure, etc? Sorry if these details have been posted before. If so let me know and I'll find it.

free73degrees said:
pybyr said:
Wow, are you saying that you have a tank made of sheet metal panels? I need more details. What kind of metal, how is it joined, what provides the structure, etc? Sorry if these details have been posted before. If so let me know and I'll find it.

Yes- in progress- 6x6 in the horizontal dimensions x 5 feet high = 1350 gallons cold, about 1200 "net" after you account for the expansion of the water between 55 F and 200+ F. The largest single panel is 3x6 feet and about 80 pounds in weight, which I needed to do in order to get it down into an ancient farmhouse basement.

The metal fab is all done on my tank; it's partly assembled (bottom and 3 sides); the final assembly (of the 4th side and the top) remains to be done, and I need to finalize my design for and fabricate the stratification baffle before putting the rest together. Getting the boiler working so that I could ditch the oil bill took priority, and the tank ended up back-seat for a while- soon to be resumed.

1t is made out of 12 gauge 409 stainless steel panels, with folded edges drilled for bolts where the panels meet. Buna-N gasketing and Sikkens Sikaflex 221 make sure that the joints will stay sealed.

I worked with a great company in the northern midwest to get it designed and fabricated (they usually do huge municipal tanks, manure tanks, etc). Cost wasn't exactly cheap, but no worse than something like an STSS of similar (actually smaller) size, and it should survive anything short of a direct nuclear hit :)

I should post some pictures- keep bugging me to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.