High Wind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We have high winds which started last night and is still going on, this morning this breaker got tripped on the line. Five hours without power but it was in the high 50's and others had lost there power also.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2114.jpg
    100_2114.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 394
I'm just hoping it takes down some maple or more ash. The temps went from 59 to 42 in less than an hour here. Great day to take down some dead leaners.

If ya never see me alive again, you'll just know the electric went out here too :bug:

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
I'm just hoping it takes down some maple or more ash. The temps went from 59 to 42 in less than an hour here. Great day to take down some dead leaners.

If ya never see me alive again, you'll just know the electric went out here too :bug:

Cold and getting Colder! Thats what going to happen. Its blowing your way.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:

ISeeDeadBTUs' the temp has dropped 8 degrees in the last hour. When we get the high winds the cherry seem to be the tree that take the worst hit on our property. This is what my wife likes to call Gunner Mountain, this ridge runs a good 1/2 mile and is one of the highest spots on the property and usually takes a hit when we have high winds.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1432.jpg
    100_1432.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 366
wood spliter said:
Its windy down here. I expected more damage. I haven't really seen much at all.

Going to town today I saw a tree split in half on top of a car in a driveway and then down the road a bit a dead pine was on a house, wanted to get pictures but it was windy plus I had a long line of cars behind me.

zap

Just got over a windstorm here a few days ago. Winds were holding at 40-50mph with gusts at 70mph. Was about 10* outside at least so not too bad but was hell running the snowblower to open up the driveway so I could head out to work (had a 3-4ft drift across the driveway)

I had left a few sheets of OSB in the back of my truck before the wind started. well the sheets flew out of the bed, took out the back glass and were 200ft away in my yard.

Somehow the power never went out at my place, though maybe people were without juice for a few days.

Whoa Nate. I'll bet you were woke up when that OSB hit the window!

We saw some high winds yesterday also and was good scrounging morning - two truckloads of maple cut up by the utility company - didn't even have to fire up the saw. Yesterday at dusk we saw a temp drop from 62 to 45 in about 1 hr. i know those temps aren't low, but that change felt cold!

f3cbboy said:
We saw some high winds yesterday also and was good scrounging morning - two truckloads of maple cut up by the utility company - didn't even have to fire up the saw. Yesterday at dusk we saw a temp drop from 62 to 45 in about 1 hr. i know those temps aren't low, but that change felt cold!

Sav we are ready, please send it.

f3cbboy we had about a 30 degree change from yesterday to this morning, we have a lake effect warning today and Friday for up to 7 inches of snow.

zap

we are hovering around 35 all afternoon today. Good temps to swing the fiskars this afternoon.

I can't wait to get some SNOW! I think we qare forecasted to get warmer this weekend though ):

f3cbboy said:
we are hovering around 35 all afternoon today. Good temps to swing the fiskars this afternoon.

I can't wait to get some SNOW! I think we qare forecasted to get warmer this weekend though ):

All this weekend a high of 32 with a low of 27, nice weather to be back in the woods.

zap

that front went through fast here, but the roar of the constant wind was a bit surprising, very steady
there were a few gusts early on that made my roof creak but then it went constant, which was a bit odd.

Went out with a flashlight last night down one of the trails near the house and not much of anything down.
Just a ton of moths flying around.

billb3 said:
that front went through fast here, but the roar of the constant wind was a bit surprising, very steady
there were a few gusts early on that made my roof creak but then it went constant, which was a bit odd.

Went out with a flashlight last night down one of the trails near the house and not much of anything down.
Just a ton of moths flying around.

I'll be going back in the woods to check the trails on Saturday, we have one pine down across just has you go in. This picture was from down the road, they did have a car underneath this that they finally got out that had some damage.

Attachments

• 100_2122.jpg
    100_2122.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 221
Status
Not open for further replies.