Higher Hearth than Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

climb99

Oct 15, 2007
Greater Boston
At the moment my fireplace and hearth is level with the floor. Currently the hearth is made up of ugly ceramic tile, and I would like to raise the hearth off the floor (if even slightly) to over the tile and to separate if from the floor. My plan is to raise the hearth up about 5" via brick with a bluestone cap. I don't have the height to raise the floor of the fireplace. (fireplace is 37"W x 29"H x 16" D) My questions are 1. Is it generally bad to have the fireplace lower than the hearth? How will it effect my draft? Should I worry about lack of airflow to the fire?

Do you have an insert in the fireplace, or is it just a regular fireplace? I'm assuming the answer is no, you just have a regular fireplace, in which case other experts will need to answer. If that's not the case, then there would be major issues with building up (in front of an insert) - obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.