Hitch pin on US Stove 8500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rgerek

Nov 25, 2014
Rubicon WI
Well I finally have a problem, the hitch pin between the pot agitator and the motor, I have replaced five of them this season, the are the hardware store type. Thinking of drilling out for a bigger one, do they make a stainless steel one that could handle the temp better, they just melt away.

Post a picture, maybe do something like Countryside did and make a collar but I need and idea of the offending mechanical problem.

My first thought was you were trying to hitch the stove up to drag it out of the house:)

Well I finally have a problem, the hitch pin between the pot agitator and the motor, I have replaced five of them this season, the are the hardware store type. Thinking of drilling out for a bigger one, do they make a stainless steel one that could handle the temp better, they just melt away.
Those are the same agitator set up as most of the USSC pellet stoves. Split shaft off the motor to the agitator. One reason they make them so soft is so if the agitator jams it will break without stripping the motor gears box.

If you go with a larger pin you might have to live with a jam causing problems with those gears. I would try and find a slightly harder pin the same size. Pins are relatively cheap to replace compared to the gear box or motor. Pain in the firepot to have to keep changing them though.

Reactions: MSmith66
Why have I never seen a gear box motor assembly bad on a Countryside? They use a collar to keep the shafts aligned and together. I service one on a regular basis that's now 13+ years old. I thought that US stoves was to cheap to copy that part of the stove and went with the simple pin affair.

Why have I never seen a gear box motor assembly bad on a Countryside? They use a collar to keep the shafts aligned and together. I service one on a regular basis that's now 13+ years old. I thought that US stoves was to cheap to copy that part of the stove and went with the simple pin affair.
All I know is year ago that's what USSC said. It was in relation to clinker build up especially when burning corn. That is what I remember. If someone is just running pellets I wouldn't worry about it, just make it easy for disconnecting for cleaning and use what ever that is stronger.

That's their story and they will stick with it:)
The one stove I mentioned has only seen pellets to help start the corn as they get free corn from the renter. Just put in a new room fan last week. It has went through 2 room fans and two exhaust fans, although the first one was because they ran the cleaning brush to far into the exhaust and bent the fins.

That's their story and they will stick with it:)
The one stove I mentioned has only seen pellets to help start the corn as they get free corn from the renter. Just put in a new room fan last week. It has went through 2 room fans and two exhaust fans, although the first one was because they ran the cleaning brush to far into the exhaust and bent the fins.
Ya, I'm not the one to testify about agitators, all mine did was agitate me to the point of running clinker style. ;lol

If anyone needs a spare motor or gear box, I have one not being used!

I am just burning pellets this year, there has to be a better way, I will post pics tonight I just want to get though the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.