Hitchhiker seeds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Anyone got a good truck for getting thousands of hitchhiker seeds off clothing? Easy to Hager off canvas, but I have found nothing other than tedious picking one at a time to get them off my jacket’s elastic waist band and cuffs. Even my strongest shop vac doesn’t do much with them.

2B5437C0-7409-4492-975E-8B841FC1D0E1.jpeg

duct tape

Reactions: Ashful
Something that's stickier than the jacket...

So peakbagger is right. Same principle as the cat hair rollers, but more manly 😜

Tried it. Duct tape, even Gorilla tape fails. These things hook in too tight to fabric!

The.soft half of Velcro?

Carhartt coverall/bibs are good for those buggers...or if you are out cutting, a pair of chaps and a Carhartt jacket without the elastic band...like their chore jacket.
As far as getting them off there...I'd try something that they can really lock into...like maybe cheesecloth, something like that.
Thinking about when my hands get real dry, you can't let go of a baby wipe/wet wipe...especially after they lay out for a couple hours and get good n dry...like Velcro they are! (hey, maybe try a piece of the fuzzy velcro side!)

I'm starting to think my old method of picking them off by hand, as tedious as it is, is going to be it.

I believe the jacket above is older than any of Carhartt's current models, but appears equivalent to what they sell today as the "Active Jac". I do have a Carhartt without the elastic, but it's too warm for most chores, in all but our coldest weather. Guess I need to pick up another lighter jacket! ;lol

I do have a Carhartt without the elastic, but it's too warm for most chores, in all but our coldest weather. Guess I need to pick up another lighter jacket!
Maybe they make different chore jackets...mine is not that warm...good for this time of the year, not much more...has the "horse blanket" liner in it. And that's why I like the bibs...not so hot if you take your jacket off while working

Didn't mean to imply mine was a "Chore". My Carhartt without elastic bands was bought in the mid-1990's, and so warm that I almost never wear it. I do wear that elastic-banded and hooded number shown in the photo above a lot, but when it's too cold for that, I usually skip right to the full insulated coveralls. My traditional insulated coat without the elastic bands is used so rarely that it still looks like new after almost 30 years.

Ironically, the jacket I wear most is an old inherited 1920's Boy Scout wool jacket which is now missing half its buttons, but is just the perfect compromise of warmth, breathability, range of motion, and relative durability. I probably shouldn't wear something so old and of potential historical interest for splitting wood, but it's been my primary outer wear the last ten years. It was like-new ten years ago, but near ready for retirement, now.

You could try something like this metal comb to get underneath and scrape them off. We use a metal comb to get these out of our pups fur when she gets into stickers like this
9E710D1B-AA36-4317-B190-812E5D2AD2C5.jpeg

I use the brush that I use on the dog
Gets them off the dog and my jeans
quick and easy.

Can brush up against the kids? Theoretically, that should transfer the things to them.

• Haha
As always, Limestone has the best idea!

I think I might have one of those tick combs for dogs... gonna hunt thru the box of dog stuff tomorrow! That might just work!