Hobbies anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I really am enjoying reading about all these hobbies. My main hobby is my garden and food forest and fiddling with the fiddle once in a while. But I just wanted to say I am enjoying this thread.

@Grizzerbear. I have a number of Indian arrowheads and civil war bullets from my grandparent's farm in Virginia that I collected about 50-55+ years ago when I was a young boy.
That's awesome. I'd love to find some old civil war bullets. Did you have to dig em up?

Nice!! As a kid I was always looking for arrowheads but never found one. I bought a box lot several years ago at an auction and these were in it. I know nothing about them other than the fact that I like them.

View attachment 297502

That one on bottom row second from left looks like it was bigger at one time. Maybe it broke and they reworked it? Very cool.

Reactions: woodey
Lol....well to the best of my knowledge which is limited.... based off of books like Overstreet identification and referencing off of Missouri State Universities collection I believe that it's a Etley style spearpoint from the late archaic period which was made anywhere from 2500-800 b.c. So many questions come to mind when I find one. It's just always been something I really enjoy doing. Getting to physically touch history and hold it in your hand.
That is very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Getting to physically touch history and hold it in your hand.
Getting to physically touch history and hold it in your hand.
Exactly why I bought this jug 3 days ago at a garage sale. I could tell by the ovoid shape that it was an early piece. By the stamp on the front of the piece I was able to research and find that it was made by Absalom Stedman in New Haven CT . Circa 1825-1830

BEEB80B0-FABB-45B4-B7C9-78F9A3DAC616.jpeg 23DC8BDE-3BAE-4B7C-8A8B-BED41437C4E5.jpeg

Crocker Farm, the largest seller of stoneware in the Nation had their summer sale come to a end last weekend. Below are a few examples of the final bids with 20% buyers premium included. The deer sold for $96,000 and the bird piece for $34,800.

A099BB75-56B8-4FB7-AB96-41576922B6C8.jpeg 164F64AF-D790-4788-8AB8-5C3A1314B072.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: ispinwool
The churn on the left sold for $27,600 and mine on the right I purchased for $350.00. Looks like a good investment.

E6CC5846-8FCA-459A-AF5D-0665098B2470.jpeg 95C83AC3-BA90-4787-BEB4-00F7D176C205.jpeg

I have been collecting 19th century decorated stoneware for several years and was lucky enough to come across this beauty at a garage sale, Circa 1880-1884.

View attachment 297174
An avid stoneware collector/seller stopped by my house recently to check out this churn. He asked if I had posted it on Facebook as they have a group you can join specifically for stoneware collectors. I said that I have never used Facebook and have no interest in doing so. After a few weeks curiosity got the better of me and I did so. I also sent pictures of it to Crocker Farm for a free auction appraisal. They said that a conservative price would be around $5000.00 and they would like to have it in one of their upcoming auctions. The other day I received a PM from a member of the Facebook group asking if I would be interested in selling it, said he would pick it up and pay cash. I told him I have no interest in selling it at this point in time because I've only had it a few weeks, but I would look any serious offers. Knowing what the Auction house said I told him that a offer would have to be North of $5000. He got back to me with a price of $5500. I said I wasn't interested in selling for that Price . He said $6000 would be his best offer. I told him thanks but I wasn't yet. My wife is wondering who's the dumber of the too, him for offering that much , or me for not selling. I guess that makes me a true collector.

4492447A-D052-495E-A5CC-E672740F3AE2.jpeg

Sure. But they were also used at the start of the presence of what we now call native American Indians (I think) here.

not important but it's something I would ask myself: when was the last time someone touched this thing....
Or got back and thought "where the hell is my spearhead?" :)

Was collecting cast iron cookware. Chanced upon a lot for sale at a great price. Done buying.

Reactions: woodey
Great idea for a thread! :)
Most of my hobbies revolve around yarn....spinning it, knitting, crochet. Sewing is
big on my list too...mostly quilts and colonial dress items for reenactments.

Reactions: akgal and woodey
My wife has a picture she is deathly ashamed of, of her wearing an old-fashioned dress during the 750 anniversary of the town she grew up in. Sewn by her (late) grandmother.

I am not allowed to post it here. But sewing items to be like they were worn "way back when" (even if that is less far as on the old continent) is a good thing to remember (the past) and appreciate (the present).

My wife has a picture she is deathly ashamed of, of her wearing an old-fashioned dress during the 750 anniversary of the town she grew up in. Sewn by her (late) grandmother.

I am not allowed to post it here. But sewing items to be like they were worn "way back when" (even if that is less far as on the old continent) is a good thing to remember (the past) and appreciate (the present).
Well, you can tell her (from me;)) that she should be honored that her Grandma made her a dress to wear for such a festive occasion :) I have my Grandma's treadle sewing machine--I think of her each time I sit down to sew on it. My mom didn't sew all that much...but my mother-in-law is a wizard with a sewing machine! She made countless dresses and costumes for her daughters and made the 4 bridesmaid dresses and 2 flower girls dresses for my wedding. When our church decided to present a Boar's Head festival each Christmas (for roughly 20 years), the sewing machine was humming once again. Very talented lady!

Reactions: stoveliker
Collecting bourbon?
One hobby here is bourbon too - but not of the collecting kind (as in get and keep). Somehow the bottles empty out over time...

Collecting bourbon?
One hobby here is bourbon too - but not of the collecting kind (as in get and keep). Somehow the bottles empty out over time...
All but a few are open and ready to share, I just don't go through them incredibly fast.... I buy bottles to try then eventually I get through them. I have one bottle I go through on a more regular basis and continuously restock.

I'm learning to hunt and preserve/tan hides. I have a freezer full of pine squirrel pelts I plan on making into a hat, mittens, and maybe even fur lined mukluks using some deerskin for the outside.

I'm learning to hunt and preserve/tan hides. I have a freezer full of pine squirrel pelts I plan on making into a hat, mittens, and maybe even fur lined mukluks using some deerskin for the outside.
This is actually a super cool skill. My grandpa used to do this with coyote, and beaver pelts. I don't remember if he ever made anything out of them, but I remember always seeing a few around tanning.

May become a more useful skill than we think in the coming years...

This is actually a super cool skill. My grandpa used to do this with coyote, and beaver pelts. I don't remember if he ever made anything out of them, but I remember always seeing a few around tanning.

May become a more useful skill than we think in the coming years...
Very rarely do people consider the clothes on their back and if that supply chain were 'disrupted'. Due to 'covid'.
Your skill may be very useful, assuming you dont have 10m people from the city mass migrating out and squatting/poaching lands because of some 'natural' disaster.

Very rarely do people consider the clothes on their back and if that supply chain were 'disrupted'. Due to 'covid'.
Your skill may be very useful, assuming you dont have 10m people from the city mass migrating out and squatting/poaching lands because of some 'natural' disaster.
I've told folks before: "it's not 'just' sewing, knitting and spinning, it's a post- apocalyptic skill set!" LOL ;)

I've told folks before: "it's not 'just' sewing, knitting and spinning, it's a post- apocalyptic skill set!" LOL ;)
My son (8yrs old) just went a bought a spool or yarn and some knitting needles, and decided to start learning how to knit. He's starting his own scarf right now, and does it all of his own accord. Good on him! I said hey, you can make me some socks, toques and sweaters now! LOL

• Love
All the things that go into 'prepping' are interesting. Consider how you would chop down a log and cut it into log sized pieces and then split it, store it for burning to keep warm. That's almost a fulltime job in itself IF you were very fit. I have a few long saws, not going to lie. I found it interesting to cut down a tree or two with long saws. Now they are 'ornaments'.
Think about natural remedies that you can find in the wild. People walk through the forest and have no idea what they are stepping over. Nor do they know that certain mushrooms will kill them so quickly, while others that even look the same are perfect for consumption.
I have a friend who has alot of hand (non powered) tools. I recall a wood working show that this guy did everything without power to build things like cabinetry etc. People wouldnt know what to do without power tools now. But they did quite well without them long ago.

In the summer I grow things and love berry picking. In the winter it’s sewing, knitting, calligraphy and crafty things. I also do most of our house remodeling. When people say if they retire their brain will go to mush that won’t be my problem. My problem is I’ll likely never be able to retire. 😅

My son (8yrs old) just went a bought a spool or yarn and some knitting needles, and decided to start learning how to knit. He's starting his own scarf right now, and does it all of his own accord. Good on him! I said hey, you can make me some socks, toques and sweaters now! LOL
Nothing like child labor to pull in the profits! :)

Reactions: RomanW