Hobbies anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In the summer I grow things and love berry picking. In the winter it’s sewing, knitting, calligraphy and crafty things. I also do most of our house remodeling. When people say if they retire their brain will go to mush that won’t be my problem. My problem is I’ll likely never be able to retire. 😅
ditto. I have a ton of things I would do.
My eyes will likely fail long before my body does sadly, genetics are a b****.
There's tons of stuff I can do if I cant do the more demanding things. I used to find building RC model airplanes out of raw balsa amazing (until you crash), then repairing and having it fly again amazing again.

Reactions: ispinwool and akgal
My son (8yrs old) just went a bought a spool or yarn and some knitting needles, and decided to start learning how to knit. He's starting his own scarf right now, and does it all of his own accord. Good on him! I said hey, you can make me some socks, toques and sweaters now! LOL
When I was first learning to knit/spin, I was having trouble with just about all of it. I did some research and discovered that many spinners/knitters in "the olden days" were children. Kids. Littles. I did some stern self-talk: "I'm a reasonably intelligent woman and if they can figure it out, what's my excuse!?" LOLOL
Tell your son that I said "Good Going!!" ...and I hope you post a pic or two :) :)

Reactions: SpaceBus and RomanW
I consider bourbon to be a great hobby. A few that I enjoy at a decent price are Buffalo Trace, 1782 and Wheel Horse. When my ship comes in I'm going to purchase some - Pappy Van Winkle 25 Years Old Decanter, Old Rip Van Winkle 25 Year. At $59,999 a bottle I hope its good!!

I consider bourbon to be a great hobby. A few that I enjoy at a decent price are Buffalo Trace, 1782 and Wheel Horse. When my ship comes in I'm going to purchase some - Pappy Van Winkle 25 Years Old Decanter, Old Rip Van Winkle 25 Year. At $59,999 a bottle I hope its good!!
Found your ship! ;)

Transportation_ship_stranded.jpg

Yes, Buffalo is one of my go-to run of the mill ones too.

Reactions: woodey and Shank
I have a friend who has alot of hand (non powered) tools. I recall a wood working show that this guy did everything without power to build things like cabinetry etc. People wouldnt know what to do without power tools now. But they did quite well without them long ago.
If the show is the same one I'm thinking of...Roy Underwood and the Woodwright's Shop... I watched it every chance I got!❤️ (and I found some episodes on DVD for my kids to watch)

Reactions: tlc1976
This is actually a super cool skill. My grandpa used to do this with coyote, and beaver pelts. I don't remember if he ever made anything out of them, but I remember always seeing a few around tanning.

May become a more useful skill than we think in the coming years...

I have been wanting to hunt ever since moving to Maine, but finally got around to getting my ducks in a row this fall. I've been trying to get wild turkeys and a deer, but the pine squirrels are ubiquitous with no limit or closed season. They taste very good and their skin is high quality, so they are worth the effort. I do not yet know how to make things with the hides, but I do know how to preserve them. Once I get around to building a drying/stretching rack or board I'll tan the hides. After all the hides are tanned I'll figure out how to make mittens, and then a hat. I'm also interested in making some pouches and other useful stuff. Maybe I could even sell some stuff once I get good at it.

I've told folks before: "it's not 'just' sewing, knitting and spinning, it's a post- apocalyptic skill set!" LOL ;)
I've got a ton of fleece I need to process myself or send to the mill. Ok, a ton is a bit of a stretch, but 30 lbs is a lot! I've gotten fairly decent at drop spinning using the park and draft method, but it's slow. I think a Brother drum carder and an electric spinner are going to happen sooner or later.

I have been wanting to hunt ever since moving to Maine, but finally got around to getting my ducks in a row this fall. I've been trying to get wild turkeys and a deer, but the pine squirrels are ubiquitous with no limit or closed season. They taste very good and their skin is high quality, so they are worth the effort. I do not yet know how to make things with the hides, but I do know how to preserve them. Once I get around to building a drying/stretching rack or board I'll tan the hides. After all the hides are tanned I'll figure out how to make mittens, and then a hat. I'm also interested in making some pouches and other useful stuff. Maybe I could even sell some stuff once I get good at it.
Well I'm sure they're abundant too! They sure are up here. So you'll have no shortage of hides!

Reactions: SpaceBus
Well I'm sure they're abundant too! They sure are up here. So you'll have no shortage of hides!
I've harvested over 30 in the last month from public lands and forests near my house, but you couldn't tell with how many are still around!

Reactions: RomanW
I have had Pappy 23. It's quite good, but I don't know I could justify what it sells for... Buffalo is quite good. Eagle Rare is very good as well. My current favorite (that you can somewhat find) probably has to be EH Taylor Small Batch.

Yes, Buffalo is one of my go-to run of the mill ones too.
It used to be plentiful here, now that has pretty well dried up. I pick up a bottle every time I swing by the distillery.

I've got a ton of fleece I need to process myself or send to the mill. Ok, a ton is a bit of a stretch, but 30 lbs is a lot! I've gotten fairly decent at drop spinning using the park and draft method, but it's slow. I think a Brother drum carder and an electric spinner are going to happen sooner or later.
Nice! A kindred spirit in more ways than one :)
I generally process my own fleece unless I'm in a big hurry (which was only once so far...4 big garbage bags of fleece cost me around $300 to process! I about choked! LOL And that was about 10 years ago; I shudder to
think what it'd cost today).
So many folks complain of 'being allergic' to wool but I think it's the chemicals used in the processing. I could be wrong but when they use an acid to dissolve the vegetation, I can't help but think it has an effect on your skin. (At least the big mills use acid...perhaps not the local mini-mills...?)

I'm slow when I spindle spin too...the saying goes "slower by the hour, faster by the day"--a spindle is easy to
take with you so you get more done per day (like waiting in the car to pick up kids) --- the wheel is much faster but not exactly portable. If I have a choice of toting my 20 pound wheel or a 1/2 oz spindle, I grab
the spindle every time!

myspindles.jpg

Reactions: SpaceBus and woodey
I enjoy making stuff. I have multiple hobbies, but creating things is probably my favourite. I also love playing guitar, so my dads birthday was coming up and he always wanted a telecaster. So I built one!

View attachment 303411 View attachment 303412 View attachment 303413 View attachment 303414
Love this. The flame neck, custom pickguard, custom multi part inlays. That’s some super detailed craftsmanship. I helped my cousin build a similar but basic guitar body. He used the same stain as yours too.

I play bass instead. Back when I was 18/19, I built a 6 string fretless because I couldn’t afford one. Aside from the tuners and electronics, I made everything myself, including the bridge and truss rod. Shape was inspired by Ibanez and Curbow. I actually used the same can of blue stain on mine, but because of the cherry wood I used, it turned out brown and green. I still have it.

Don’t mind the mess, it was my buddy’s apartment.
94FA9798-0388-4611-B013-FCC0A9EABD41.jpeg

If the show is the same one I'm thinking of...Roy Underwood and the Woodwright's Shop... I watched it every chance I got!❤️ (and I found some episodes on DVD for my kids to watch)
Roy Underhill. Always loved watching that, and still do if I can still catch it on PBS.

Reactions: ispinwool
Pickleball!

Although gardening is my most full-time retirement hobby, I have been a lifetime photographer and a few years ago I took up watercolor painting. Still a neophyte, but it is wonderful to get lost in a painting.

Sometimes the hobbies all come together

Brussel sprouts photo
will_lockwood_brussel-sprouts_01.jpg

And painting
brussel sprouts painting.jpg

Although gardening is my most full-time retirement hobby, I have been a lifetime photographer and a few years ago I took up watercolor painting. Still a neophyte, but it is wonderful to get lost in a painting.

Brussel sprouts photo
View attachment 303532

And painting
View attachment 303534
You have talent!!

Brussel sprouts photo
View attachment 303532

And painting
View attachment 303534
Incredible. Bravo my friend!

Too bad you weren't closer, I'd have you come photograph my dads guitar! (Would do a million times better than my crappy iPhone 11 skills LOL)

Incredible. Bravo my friend!

Too bad you weren't closer, I'd have you come photograph my dads guitar! (Would do a million times better than my crappy iPhone 11 skills LOL)
Thanks. Your guitar making skills are awesome. FWIW, the Brussel Sprout photo was taken with my iPhone 11. ;em

Nice! A kindred spirit in more ways than one :)
I generally process my own fleece unless I'm in a big hurry (which was only once so far...4 big garbage bags of fleece cost me around $300 to process! I about choked! LOL And that was about 10 years ago; I shudder to
think what it'd cost today).
So many folks complain of 'being allergic' to wool but I think it's the chemicals used in the processing. I could be wrong but when they use an acid to dissolve the vegetation, I can't help but think it has an effect on your skin. (At least the big mills use acid...perhaps not the local mini-mills...?)

I'm slow when I spindle spin too...the saying goes "slower by the hour, faster by the day"--a spindle is easy to
take with you so you get more done per day (like waiting in the car to pick up kids) --- the wheel is much faster but not exactly portable. If I have a choice of toting my 20 pound wheel or a 1/2 oz spindle, I grab
the spindle every time!

View attachment 303502
There are only a couple of mills in Maine, but neither of them use chemicals that I know of. We have one less alpaca than last year, but we will still be in a lot of fleece every year. We also got a lot of fleece this year because the previous year we couldn't get on the shearing schedule. Next year should be about 15-20 lbs of fleece, which will be much more manageable. This is our second year keeping the alpacas and first year learning to spin. My partner can knit, but I would also like to learn to knit and crochet. Eventually a loom will join the equipment and we can make stuff more suitable to 100% alpaca fiber. Learning to make big sheets of felt would also be great, because I can see myself making a lot of stuff from felt and animal hides.

Reactions: ispinwool
I too dabble in amateur photography.

DSC_3443.JPG DSC_3918.JPG DSC_0333.JPG DSC_0670.JPG DSC_0683.JPG DSC_0797.JPG DSC_0798.JPG DSC_1322.JPG DSCN8080.JPG margriet.JPG