Hobbies anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Amateur? You and @begreen are too modest lol
They dont know what a real amateur looks like. Me, taking pictures of a group of people with a telephone pole behind them and a garbage can to the side.

Or the camera focusing on the people behind us instead of the person Im taking a picture of.

I had a Nikon DSLR 5000. Prior to that I had the D60. The D60 was GREAT, but it had a defect so it went back to Costco. They ran out of D60s so I spent a bit more to get the 5000. What a mistake. That camera was total trash. Serious back focus issues, and it had NO tone ranges what so ever. I let my 5 year old play with it, throw it down the stairs etc - just because I wouldnt pawn that off on anyone. Nikon 'fixed it' twice. I took it to two pros who said sell it, it's a lemon/garbage. SO I bought a Cannon and couldnt be happier.

Reactions: RomanW
Growing hostas and daylilies, I have a small garden in a small city my family thinks I’m kind of crazy but my neighbor likes to look out her office window and view she calls it the garden of eden, it’s nice to be appreciated.
deer eat all my hostas. SO I gave up, put a gravel pad there for overflow cars. Hostas still grew through 5" of compacted gravel, and then the deer ate them again. :(

I hike year round, the broken ankle slowed me down this year but my impending retirement means being able to take advantage of fair weather days. A long term hobby is to spend a lot of time at my wood lot doing timberstand inprovement. I also have a few automotive projects, I have an 1987 Bronco that has had most of the hard stuff done but has a computer glitch. I got it running a couple of years ago after months of fiddling and then after sitting a winter would not restart. I also have a Toyota LJ70 turbo diesel that was imported from Italy that needs attention. They never sold this model in the US, its effectively the original Land Cruiser running gear in a newer body.

I also have a Toyota LJ70 turbo diesel
This is nice. We lived in Zimbabwe, Africa for a few years and drove a 100 series Landcruiser. It was a non-turbo in-line six, so you just kept the pedal down on the paved roads. 😂Great for off-road/semi-developed roads, though. The organization we were there with also bought a 70 series, those things are built like tanks. I’ve wished to have one here…
Edit..actually the one we drove the most was an 80 series. We did have a 100 series later, but I didn’t like it quite as well. The 70 series we had was technically a 76 series, I think. Very similar to the one you have, but newer.

Last edited:
This is nice. We lived in Zimbabwe, Africa for a few years and drove a 100 series Landcruiser. It was a non-turbo in-line six, so you just kept the pedal down on the paved roads. 😂Great for off-road/semi-developed roads, though. The organization we were there with also bought a 70 series, those things are built like tanks. I’ve wished to have one here…
Edit..actually the one we drove the most was an 80 series. We did have a 100 series later, but I didn’t like it quite as well. The 70 series we had was technically a 76 series, I think. Very similar to the one you have, but newer.
The 70 series is the automotive equivalent of a cockroach, they just wont die or go away. The 70 series is actually a family of series beginning with 7. The pickup truck based on the 70 series was imported to the US, but the Land Cruisers were not as consumers in the US at the time wanted larger, more luxurious and powerful SUVs so Toyota came up with the 80 series. The Turbodiesel is not a particularly powerful 4 cylinder engine, 86 HP and 138 feet of torque. The basic 70 series is still being built in the middle east. International Aid agencies and both sides of various third world conflicts prefer to use them. This dealership in Gibraltar specializes in upfitting and supplying them https://www.toyota-gib.com/eng/index.html. The only legal way to bring them into the US is wait 25 years so they do not need to comply with federal standards. The US military brings them in and further upfits them for special forces use on occasion.

Reactions: RomanW
Here are 4 butter churns from my collection.
View attachment 303602
Here are my newest additions.

F1692CE3-FB25-41A2-87F9-2DE26CF43B6B.jpeg

Neat! What's the ages of those?

Reactions: woodey
I like me some f15s. I remember the howling when they flew over our home back in the old country. Distinctly different sound than the raw f16s

Reactions: woodey and Dataman
I like me some f15s. I remember the howling when they flew over our home back in the old country. Distinctly different sound than the raw f16s

The Dayton airshow used to be the absolute best airshow that I was willing to drive to. The P 51's were amazing to hear flying overhead.

I still remember the stealth bomber like it was yesterday. It was a fairly cloudy day and the cloud cover was on the lower side. This thing flew in, and it looked like a telephone pole flying sideways. It flew over the airfield, then looked like a telephone pole flying away until it darted back into the sky. At that point it looked like alien technology.

Love Em. Got to do the SR71 A/A before I retired for NASA Mission. http://www.sr71.com/Nasa_Refuel.wmv
Wow. That one I missed... Iconic.
I did stand next to a Starfighter though - tough to imagine my dad flew one for almost 2 decades. Such a low-tech metal box... Never heard one flying though, in real life.

Reactions: woodey and Dataman
Wow. That one I missed... Iconic.
I did stand next to a Starfighter though - tough to imagine my dad flew one for almost 2 decades. Such a low-tech metal box... Never heard one flying though, in real life.
Starfighters were awsum! Saw the German team in England. They arrived on base flying in from all 4 compass points on the deck, Supersonic. Italian team lost a member when tree reached out and swatted it down. USAF displayed F4 that we allowed people to get into cockpit. Until we were told it was armed with Live Missiles. ended that, roped off. Got to get up close and personal with Vulcan. Shame my film got almost ruined by temp of bath going cold. . Most impressive Jet I ever saw or seen was British Electric. Very Noisy. More than SR71. I had job I could go anywhere on base.

Image15.jpg

Reactions: woodey
I have been collecting for years and over time I have begun to appreciate simple designs more, my favorite chairs are square backs with through tenon leg and bamboo turnings they are hard to find, I have only seen three and purchased them all. That being said I have a warm place in my heart for sack backs, I live in a 1765 house with small rooms and wish I had more room for them, I have to settle for mostly side chairs. Wish I had your skills to make some myself.

WOW that's alot of work! Pretty cool
Thank you. Are some tribute to my father's career as a floor builder, I stayed with him for a few years. However yes, not very easy, that tiger had to be complete, whole body, but I gave up, too long, too heavy. I did these 15 years ago, but several times I thought about doing another one!