Hole in my baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsox

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2009
nebraska
Long time lurker here. I appreciate everyones input on here. Have learnt alot and finally pulled the trigger and got my Napoleon 1450 installed two weeks ago. Having been working on the learning curve with the stove and figuring out what wood of mine is still wet.
Anyways, my 1450 has the baffles which are made ceramic fiber. I had read people are replacing them with fire brick because they become worn out. So I noticed today I had put a hole in one. I can see the flame pulling up through it when I have the door cracked and the chimney is pulling the flame up. Is this a safety issue at all. As in should I not have a fire tonight. I imagine it definetly is not as effecient because its not as air tight. Will this effect how good of a fire I can have going?
Thanks again, I appreciate it

Its not unsafe, and its not gonna suddenly destry ALL efficiency your stove has (but it will kill some)... you shouldn't have too much trouble controlling it, as it is not leaking in any extra air.
The baffles they put in those things are 2 things for you:
1. fairly cheap (maybe 50-60 bucks)
2. Easy to break, especially when trying to jam any wood up against it.

I would not throw firebrick in over the top, however: the weight of the brick of a hot,( therefore more malleable) airtube will cause it to droop down into the firebox. Isee it all the time in Lopi stoves when brick retainers fail and the brick weighs on the tube)
Try getting some skamol panels cut to fit (easy to do w/ basic wood working tools): there are much more durable and yet lightweight and fire proof. Woodmans could probably get them for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.