Holz Hausen Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
Today I finished my chimney for my holz hausen. In theory, it lets me cover the top of the pile and still let the moisture-laden rising air escape. Who knows whether it will make a difference, but here it is:

Attachments

• HolzChimneyXGlued.jpg
    HolzChimneyXGlued.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 313
  • HolzChimneyPreGlue.jpg
    HolzChimneyPreGlue.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 332
I thought one of the advantages of a Holz is you don't need a cover. Just put some thin half splits on top for a roof. That's what I did with mine and the wood dried fine inside and out. I did end up covering it in the winter to keep the snow off after I started to burn it.

I thought the original objective of a holz hausen was to "act" like a chimney. I could be wrong ,but I thought I read that here last year. Anyway I don't cover mine, I just use smaller splits and branches for the top portion.

Yes, you're both right. But I don't think the top of mine would be totally effective at diverting the rain, even if I'd positioned all the splits just right. My hope is to allow the holz to continue to act as a chimney, and have some better cover as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.