Holz hausen completed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red oak

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2011
northwest Virginia
After a few months of stacking here and there, my first holz hausen is complete. Most of this is pretty dry and I may burn it toward the end of this winter if I need it. It is stacked on 4 pallets, with bark put under them to level the base.

The beginning, which was this summer.

102_0500 (1).JPG

Finishing a few more layers.

102_0501 (1).JPG

And, I know there's a wide gap between pictures, but here is the finished product.

102_0870 (1).JPG

Also, here are some pics from a load I cut this weekend, tree fell in the National Forest right beside the road. Made for a very easy load and I wanted to take all I could.

Truck was pretty weighed down.

102_0863 (1).JPG

102_0864.JPG

Not all of it would fit in the bed, but my rule is if the saw touches it, then it comes home.

102_0866.JPG

Great day for cutting wood! Now if the weather would get colder so I can start using it!

Reactions: Jeffm1 and Lone_Gun
Super nice. Never built one myself. What are the pro/cons of these? After building one, worth the trouble?

Reactions: xxrice
Only reason I built one is because I wanted to try it. Some people think it dries faster but I don't think it'd be different than a traditional stack. It seems pretty stable, and I guess the other advantage would be that it takes up less space than a traditional stack.

Reactions: Jeffm1
Free wood is the best wood.

Nice work, Mr Red. The truckload has oak leaves but the rounds are smooth? All one tree?

Been wanting to try a holz myself. According to the few videos I watched the stack naturally diverts
rain runoff outwards and just remove the top two layers for ready burnables. Like you, we'll see how
well in practice it dehydrates.

After a few months of stacking here and there, my first holz hausen is complete. Most of this is pretty dry and I may burn it toward the end of this winter if I need it. It is stacked on 4 pallets, with bark put under them to level the base.

The beginning, which was this summer.

View attachment 187031

Finishing a few more layers.

View attachment 187032

And, I know there's a wide gap between pictures, but here is the finished product.

View attachment 187033

Also, here are some pics from a load I cut this weekend, tree fell in the National Forest right beside the road. Made for a very easy load and I wanted to take all I could.

Truck was pretty weighed down.

View attachment 187034

View attachment 187035

Not all of it would fit in the bed, but my rule is if the saw touches it, then it comes home.

View attachment 187036

Great day for cutting wood! Now if the weather would get colder so I can start using it!
Nice job how many cords willone of those hold,I've got 15 cords about to stack yet.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
i am thinking about building one, but mainly because I want to try it too! :)

Reactions: Jeffm1 and red oak
Free wood is the best wood.

Nice work, Mr Red. The truckload has oak leaves but the rounds are smooth? All one tree?

Been wanting to try a holz myself. According to the few videos I watched the stack naturally diverts
rain runoff outwards and just remove the top two layers for ready burnables. Like you, we'll see how
well in practice it dehydrates.

Yes the whole load is from the same tree. Trunk was really straight. Wind blew it over literally 2 feet from the road!

Nice job how many cords willone of those hold,I've got 15 cords about to stack yet.

My guess is close to 2 cords. I am basing that on the fact that it contains 7 loads on my Ford Ranger, and I usually consider 3-4 loads to be a cord. Of course expanding the base means the amount could be much greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.