Holz Hausen Interior Design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
I've started on holz #3, which will be 10 feet in diameter.

The standard design involves orienting the center pieces of wood vertically (on end). I guess the idea is that this promotes vertical air flow.

But this time I'm just going to toss the wood into the interior. This is where I put the irregular pieces, and I'm not convinced that with the low air flow speeds, the helter skelter arrangement will slow things down.

What do you think?

WarmGuy said:
I've started on holz #3, which will be 10 feet in diameter.

The standard design involves orienting the center pieces of wood vertically (on end). I guess the idea is that this promotes vertical air flow.

But this time I'm just going to toss the wood into the interior. This is where I put the irregular pieces, and I'm not convinced that with the low air flow speeds, the helter skelter arrangement will slow things down.

What do you think?
If your working on #3 What you think? I cant imagine doing one of those but 3 WOW!

I try to keep the interior design splits verticle for the bottom 2/3rds. After that its just toss them in for the remaining top third. The top tends to narrow as I get towards the end .

Al, I'm also on HH #3 which is also going to be about 10' in diameter (at the base).

For the first 2, I stacked the centers vertically on end but for this one I chose to toss scraps and irregular pieces as you are planning to do. Obviously, I think your plans for your third holz hausen are perfect. :)

I'm about half way done with mine. Here's a pic:

Attachments

• 2008_Dec 014.jpg
    2008_Dec 014.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 438
Status
Not open for further replies.