Holzhausen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ghostrider

May 28, 2017
Illinois
Hey all! New here on the forum. Been a lurker for a while now gathering information. Anyway, i was wondering how many of you stack your firewood holzhausen style and what advantages and disadvantages you all have come across using this method. Thanks ahead of time for any input.

Reactions: Rangerbait
Hey all! New here on the forum. Been a lurker for a while now gathering information. Anyway, i was wondering how many of you stack your firewood holzhausen style and what advantages and disadvantages you all have come across using this method. Thanks ahead of time for any input.

I started stacking mine in the Holz Hausen format this past winter...so far, the only data I have to share are that they look really cool, you can stack a TON of wood in a pretty small footprint, and they are very stable if executed correctly.

These three are 12' in diameter, and so far 3' tall...by my math (pi x 36 x 3/128), that yields 2.65 cords each for what are relatively short stacks.

36aeb16240694417eb05f44df436537d.jpg

Last edited:
I've started doing this just a month or two ago. So I don't have much to report either--cool looking, stable, more wood in a smaller footprint. I've done a few that are about 7 ft in diameter and 6 ft tall. This seems like the most practical size for me. I am, however, am working on a 10 ft in diameter and possibly 10 ft high just for kicks (this one will easily hold a year's worth of wood).

I've done 3 holzhausens so far and I agree they do hold a lot of wood. At 8ft wide and roughly 8 feet tall, and if i have done my math correctly, holds ~3 cords per holzhausen. Negative side I have found is they hold a lot of snow and rain water if not top covered before fall rains or winter hits.

.... more wood in a smaller footprint...
Just a note: A square stack the same width as the same diameter of a holzhousen will actually hold more wood than the circular version as long as the height of both are the same.

Just a note: A square stack the same width as the same diameter of a holzhousen will actually hold more wood than the circular version as long as the height of both are the same.
I get that this is technically correct, but standard rows lost stability much past 4 ft high. The round stacks I've been making are only limited by my reach. The standard is 10 ft in diameter and 10 ft high--a cube of wood that high would be a danger for sure.

Ive done the square stacks before as well, but the problem is that as the wood shrinks as it seasons the corners seem to colapse and then I'm restacking it again. Holz seem to be much more stable and self supporting and can stack higher than most conventional stacking methods.

Reactions: Prof
Also, does anyone put a tarp down under it befor stacking or just start right on the ground? Pallets don't seem to hold up under the weight of the stack.

Also, does anyone put a tarp down under it befor stacking or just start right on the ground? Pallets don't seem to hold up under the weight of the stack.
I put tarps down. I cut them in a circle to help with getting things set up quicker. Also didn't want the wood to draw moisture from the ground.

Not that I have ever put tarps on the ground. But I think water needs to drain out the bottom. Yes you need to keep the wood off the ground. I have been down the pallet road. The bottoms rot. I now use 3 inch PVC pipe. pricey, but so far it's held up for 5 years.

Ive done the square stacks before as well, but the problem is that as the wood shrinks as it seasons the corners seem to colapse and then I'm restacking it again. Holz seem to be much more stable and self supporting and can stack higher than most conventional stacking methods.
My holz is 10ft radius and about 12ft high at the peak, stacked it with green wood about 3 years ago, it has shrunk, weathered, banged into with the tractor and hasn't budged at all, very stable.

Reactions: Rangerbait
Not that I have ever put tarps on the ground. But I think water needs to drain out the bottom. Yes you need to keep the wood off the ground. I have been down the pallet road. The bottoms rot. I now use 3 inch PVC pipe. pricey, but so far it's held up for 5 years.
I just moved a wood pile that had been in a sunny location on a tarp. All of the bottom pcs where starting to rot. They had been there one year.

It should be noted that I live in a wet area.

I stack in holz hausen and have for a few years. It looks nice and is relatively stable. I stack on rocks that I pull from the gardens any time I try to dig. I think tarps would be more likely to hold a puddle of water as prevent moisture from rising from the ground.

I'm trying to picture it in my mind, but how do use pvc pipe under a holz?

here's a small one that I have posted before..... right now i have piles, stacks, rows, quick stacks, 2x4/cinderblock stacks.... i need to get a better pick of what I have...

20170219_075957.jpg 20170220_162218.jpg

Reactions: Ghostrider