Home heating oil inventories at an all time high

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mepellet said:
joecool85 said:
mepellet said:
Article was written in October of 2010.

Kinda makes the data less relevant, huh?
Yes. Still interesting information though...

Where in Central, ME are you located? I also live in central, ME.

With the current prices, Inventory has to be climbing again.

Ween yourselfs if you can! I did some 16 seasons(1995) ago! A little more work, But no regrets, and now its easier with pellets than what it was with wood. Set my stat just like an oil furnace. Fill the hopper couple times a week and a weekly cleaning.

j-takeman said:

Ween yourselfs if you can! I did some 16 seasons(1995) ago! A little more work, But no regrets, and now its easier with pellets than what it was with wood. Set my stat just like an oil furnace. Fill the hopper couple times a week and a weekly cleaning.

The only thing is with pellets is what happens if they get expensive because they are in demand? Wood is nice because I can cut my own fuel source. Sure I need some gas to run the saw and truck, but it's a lot less than what's needed to heat the house and probably not much more than the gas to move the pellets around.

That said, I have seriously considered getting rid of our oil boiler and using a pellet boiler for our dhw and backup heat source. We'd probably want some thermal storage to make it work real well in the summer.

joecool85 said:
j-takeman said:

The only thing is with pellets is what happens if they get expensive because they are in demand? Wood is nice because I can cut my own fuel source. Sure I need some gas to run the saw and truck, but it's a lot less than what's needed to heat the house and probably not much more than the gas to move the pellets around.

That said, I have seriously considered getting rid of our oil boiler and using a pellet boiler for our dhw and backup heat source. We'd probably want some thermal storage to make it work real well in the summer.

I understand the concern. I have went thru a couple of pellet shortages where prices sky rocketed. So I still have the wood stove for the lean times. I also opted for a multifuel stove when I purchased my current stove. Although not many options yet, There are a few in my area. Corn and grass pellets are available if I need it. Options are good when your trying to stay off the dino juice!

I wouldn't get rid of the oil burner. Keep it for back up and its another option. What if oil crashes and you can get if for cheap like in 08? Still an option and who knows, Some day there could be an oil substitute that is made from a bio fuel and is considered renewable.

j-takeman said:
I wouldn't get rid of the oil burner. Keep it for back up and its another option. What if oil crashes and you can get if for cheap like in 08? Still an option and who knows, Some day there could be an oil substitute that is made from a bio fuel and is considered renewable.

It won't be going away until it's time it gets retired (IE - it dies). It's 27 years old now.

Status
Not open for further replies.