Home Made Klin Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyheater

Minister of Fire
Several years back there was a thread on a home made kiln. It had a frame work of pallets on the ground stacked with split firewood to about 4 to 5 feet high. It was covered in black plastic down to the pallets so there was air intake at ground level. A pitched roof in the plastic held up by egg crates and an 8 inch length of stove pipe through the top of the plastic to vent the moisture. Does anybody know how to find this thread?

The good wife to the rescue she found it.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/drying-wood.92129/#post-1206995

Last edited:
I think if you use the Holzhausen stacking method with a black tarp and chimney in the centre, this might work best. Think I might try this.

Last edited:
Why black plastic instead of clear? Wouldn't you want to let the sun's rays fall upon your wood to directly heat it up. Isn't that going to be vastly more efficient than using black plastic which would need to absorb the suns energy and then transfer it to the air within your kiln which then would have to transfer it to your wood?

Reactions: hobbyheater
Sure, I read elsewhere that clear might be beter. Black is just easier to get hold of in my area. Maybe a large roll of cling wrap might work.

Sure, I read elsewhere that clear might be beter. Black is just easier to get hold of in my area. Maybe a large roll of cling wrap might work.

I have to ask ,what are the types of trees that you burn for firewood.On the west coast of Canada Douglas Fir a soft wood is the best that we can get.
IMGP3572.JPG

We have various types of Eucalyptus, Pine, Black Wattle (Acacia mearnsii) and Port Jackson (Acacia saligna) .All these trees are not indigenous to the area. The Black Wattle and Port Jackson is VERY invasive and seeds can be dormant for up to 65 years apparently. They are near impossible to control.

I prefer the Eucalyptus for heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.