Homemade air filters - Good indoor air quality, cheap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
House cat on keyboard posted for me...

My fundamental questions for rag 'n' bone are:
What is the existing whole house air filtration system? Can this system support MERV 13 filtration?
Does the measured indoor air quality improve between reloads of the wood burner?
Does the existing chimney provide the 12 Pascals suction specified?

Given rag 'n' bones fairly modest needs, I suspect a single filter/ single fan system as pictured, with some experimentation for placement , should bring his IAQ to good/ excellent.

No offense to the Brits. I am running 8 cords annually ( greater than 16 cubic meters), (at 64 degrees north latitude) (in 112 square meters) though a much larger wood burner with excellent wintertime indoor air quality.

Pic is a basic MiC 20 inch box fan with a 20x20 inch MERV 13 filter duct taped to the intake side. And my darned cat.

Aaak, connectivity. My phone is charging off my PC, but no data connection. I think rag 'n' bone can have improved air quality wtih a single MERV 13 filter duct taped to the intake side of a 20 inch box fan, with placement TBD (to be decided).

I don’t have the particulate monitor at this point, just this weather station. https://ambientweather.com/amws5000.html
I think our air quality is great most is the time, as we live in the country at least 40 minutes from any sizable town. Only time it gets bad is in the spring when the pastures are burned off, and then it could be pretty bad for short periods of time. I’ve considered getting the monitor just for curiosity sake, to check and see. 🤔
Take a look, I don’t know much about these. You think they are any good?
Indoor:
https://ambientweather.com/amwepmpmwiin.html
Outdoor:
https://ambientweather.com/ampm25.html
Both of those look like a lot of money to just add dewpoint to the $60 item already praised in this thread.

The $60 item does not provide dewpoint calculations, displays temperature in degrees C, and uses the Chinese EPA tables to produce AQI from raw particle counts.

If dewpoint is something you look at a lot, these products could be handy for the money. If you are harvesting acres of crop or wax cars professionally, dew point is a handy thing to know.

I will have to eventually read up on the sensiron sensor line. For now I am using particle counters built out on Plantronics sensors and have no issues with them. Given I have Plantronics(particle count) sensors I trust, reading up on sensirion sensors is not a high priority for me. They might be excellent, but I don't need dew point calculations bad enough to spend the money.

Ugg, motor bearing on my humidifier just crapped out. I can't see buying a new humidifier when I have a perfectly good fan running on my IAQ filter system.

Not worried about summertime, need to add humidity via the one fan/ one filter system and the one fan as one side of a cube system. Multiple heads are better than one, thanks in advance.