Stihl 029 air filter second opening?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
I was just sharpening the chain on my approx. 1997 Stihl 029.

While I was at it, decided to clean the air filter with Simple Green.

I noticed that the "back" of the air filter that faces the carburetor has an opening in it (the side of the filter facing the engine) - it's above the carburetor, diagonal, and about 3/16 inch across and maybe 5/8 inch long. On the saw, there is nothing that meets up with this opening, which means that as far as I can tell, there is nothing to prevent the saw's intake from pulling air and dirt particles in through that instead of through the filter media.

Seems like there should be something over that diagonal extra opening in the filter, but whatever it is/ was, it is definitely not there anymore.

Can anyone please fill me in on what should be there so that the air filter can do its job?

Thanks in advance for the help

Just a WAG, but maybe it's the wrong filter for the machine…?
Or is the filter damaged in the missing area?

It's definitely the right filter-- and from looking it up online, this opening is apparently a normal part of the filter design-

see (look at the view where you don't see the mounting screws)

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=QS+1127+120+1621&CAT;=

It's just that it seems like there should be something to cover that opening- and whatever that "something" is is missing from my saw.

Is this yours? (in bold) I don't know if a '97 is "older" or not. Is your serial number after X 39 305 257?

Fits the following chainsaws:
Stihl 029*, 039*, MS 290, MS 310, MS 390
* Fits 029 after Serial Number X 39 305 257. Fits 039 after serial number X 39 304 257. This filter comes with the compensator connection on the bottom which will not fit older models 029 & 039. Please verify serial number if purchasing for 029 or 039.

Bailey's is not an authorized Stihl dealer. OEM parts come from various sources including defunct dealers and saw shops. All parts are new.

Thanks! I had not read down to that part of the listing. I _had_ purchased the current filter from a local authorized Stihl dealer, who never asked me about whether my saw was early or late, and at the time, I'd figured that whatever they sold me was the right fit. So my saw has breathed in who knows how much debris since then... ugh... luckily it still runs well.

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this- now I need to chase down the right filter...

Glad to help. I suppose you could tape over the hole, with the tape on the outside of the filter, but the right filter is the way to go, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.