Homemade Fire Pokers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claybe

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2008
Colorado
I don't like my fire poker and have been contemplating making my own. I would love to see some pictures of some homemade pokers to get some ideas!

Those are the only ones I have used for years. Love the things.

I have a megabucks fireplace tools set that has never been touched. Sits by the stove for looks and I grab the HD poker every time. Upstairs, downstairs and at the fire pit.

Funny you should post this today. Just made this one last week. Haven't even had a chance to put a finish on it yet. $7.00 worth of iron from the scrap yard.
Plenty strong, probably too much so. But then again, you never know when you're going to have to go all Walter Sobchak on a stranger. >>

Attachments

• IMG_20141203_212532_353.jpg
    IMG_20141203_212532_353.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 1,470
TSC makes one similar to the depot one shown. Same price, does the job well

I just ordered a set from a local blacksmith. Same guy that built my stoveside wood holder. Not cheap by any means but it supports a local guy who is carrying on a tradition. I look at it as functional art. Plus it will literally last a lifetime.

www.forgedincanada.com

My current poker is a metal tubular golf club shaft I removed the club from. As long as I remember to use the proper grip the coals don't hook or slice on me. There's a small hole in the handle end I enlarged to let do double duty as an awesome stoker too (provided my lungs function as the bellows). At first it was the only thing handy I grabbed to use in a pinch. Now I'm very pleased and content with it.

I support my local blacksmith for all my primitive steel tool needs and he doesn't work cheap(unless your his close friend and then he just gives stuff to you so he has a reason to make more) :)

He makes knives, hawks, axes and hatchets too

If you want a custom poker PM me and I will hammer one out per your description - albeit with a little artistic liberty.

Attachments

• tools 003.JPG
    tools 003.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 837
  • tools 005.JPG
    tools 005.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,157
  • DnR.JPG
    DnR.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 802
I support my local blacksmith for all my primitive steel tool needs and he doesn't work cheap(unless your his close friend and then he just gives stuff to you so he has a reason to make more) :)

He makes knives, hawks, axes and hatchets too

If you want a custom poker PM me and I will hammer one out per your description - albeit with a little artistic liberty.

Wow, that is some very nice steel there!

I just ordered a set from a local blacksmith. Same guy that built my stoveside wood holder. Not cheap by any means but it supports a local guy who is carrying on a tradition. I look at it as functional art. Plus it will literally last a lifetime.

www.forgedincanada.com[/quote]
DuckDog, I'm on the Rideau in Portland....curious, how much was the poker? Might get a rake made to my design....

Funny you should post this today. Just made this one last week. Haven't even had a chance to put a finish on it yet. $7.00 worth of iron from the scrap yard.
Plenty strong, probably too much so. But then again, you never know when you're going to have to go all Walter Sobchak on a stranger. >>

That's what I use. They were home made but not by me.

That's what I use. They were home made but not by me.

This is my temp one right now till the hand made ones I ordered are finished.

Looks like fidos butt, but gets the job done.

Attachments

• 20141204_192705.jpg
    20141204_192705.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 631
Decent pokers are all over the place. Ash/coals rakes are scarce as hen's teeth. Had to make one from the parts of a a old fireplace tool set.

ashrake.jpg

Reactions: KD0AXS
Decent pokers are all over the place. Ash/coals rakes are scarce as hen's teeth. Had to make one from the parts of a a old fireplace tool set.

View attachment 146609
I stumbled across this kids' garden hoe at Lowe's for 5 bucks. Works great. I actually thought it was just a plastic toy when I first saw it, but when I picked it up and found it was all steel it went right in the cart. :)

884daf03e0b32063fbeafe8317d4409c.jpg

I have a well designed rake, which I bought from Woodstock. The idea is similar to the child's toy posted above. It is fine for a front load door, not so useful for a side load. Hence, my desire for a different rake.

The ones for Big Green Egg grills are nice but stupid expensive.

That's what I use, a kids garden hoe. I've had it 2 years now. It is the best fireplace tool I own. It was impossible to rake coals forward with my fireplace tools, but once I got that, it is a breeze to pull them forward!

Here's what I did. Used an old garden rake. Have one in the house and one in the shed.2013-12-14 14.26.18.jpg

Reactions: SKIN052
Here's what I did. Used an old garden rake. Have one in the house and one in the shed.View attachment 146634
That's a great idea. Been trying to come up with something I could make a coal rake out of and what could be simpler than to just use a rake, duh.
I have more than enough rakes, so that won't be a problem. I think I may have to procure one of the wife's shepherd's poles though.

I bought a stove shovel I think at Tractor Supply at the end of season clearance.

Put it in the vice and flattened it and put a L shape bend in it so I can push and pull coals and ash around in the stove.

Here is a pic of it with out the bend.

Last edited:
It ain't pretty, but it will work. Thanks for the idea. Guess I gotta get more stove paint now. The handle is the extra spring handle from my 30, fit perfectly on the shepherd's pole.

005.JPG

Reactions: Hunker Down
It ain't pretty, but it will work. Thanks for the idea. Guess I gotta get more stove paint now. The handle is the extra spring handle from my 30, fit perfectly on the shepherd's pole.

View attachment 146650

Like the spring handle idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.