Honest Opinion needed Enviro or Quadrafire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Gang, my bestest friend is buying their first Pellet stove,she has it Narrowed to 2 available models here, both are almost identical Prices. Is this contest close or Even? , i have Enviro so kinda unfair for me to Judge, think both are prob Great stoves.
1. Enviro M55 $3200
2.Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 -$3097
55,000 BTU or 40,000 BTU, and is the Classic Bay really only 40,000 as it lists on there webpage,because there in store Flyer rates it at 47,000
Thanks for any responses in advance.

Both will work equally well for you.. but the easiest one to deal with (IMHO as a guy in the biz) is enviro... the setup is simple, no real "special" parts.. easy unit to install, operate. and when the wtty runs out: to self service.

I have to agree with summit. I owned a Quad Nova 800 and Now the Omega. The enviro is hands down an easy stove to both burn and clean.

Plus you can't count out the Multifuel feature with the enviro. Its easily worth the little extra cash. Even if its just for the self cleaning burnpot.

jay

I have a quad mt vernon ae. Its a good stove but I believe the self cleaning feature on it is flawed. I dont know how the classic bay compares to the mt vernon. I have been checking out the enviro omega....that is if I can find a buyer for the quad.

Have the CB 1200 free standing and love it. ....easy to clean and maintain .....here's the spec sheet on the quads....hope this helps especially on the BTU's..... cc ☺

Attachments

• Quad Specs.jpg
    Quad Specs.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 868
I just went through the process of researching inserts and it came down to the Enviro and Quad. It was a tossup for me. Went with the Quad after listening to 3 dealers who sell both brands, strongly prefer it over the Enviro for cleaning, ease of use, and durability. Go figure.

I have a Sante Fe, and noway the hopper holds 52 pounds of pellets. You can barely squeeze one 40 pound bag in there.

Thanks for the Input guys, gotta talk to real people to get real opinions,helps when they actually own the Products.I will pass this thread along and let them make the decission themselves.Thanks Again.

If you consider both stoves as equals then I guess it depends on the dealer. Who is going to provide the best service when you have questions or problems? If the same dealer sells both brands, go with your heart!

Enviro M-55 all the way! Most advanced pellet stove EVER... Really though, I think its a fantastic stove, sort of a Harmon p68 on steroids or an Omega with andvanced mechanics (i think it has a better motor split capacitator in the agitator) and IMOP a much better looking shell. I will say I dont own one. My first is a used Harmon Accentra to fit in my smaller cape. I am in the process of installing.
I also think the quads, especially a castille I saw in red enamel, also have a solid rep. I do prefer the bottom feed of the Harmon though, especially cause you dont hear the tinkle of falling pellets. Ideally I want a P68 with an agitator and silencer...lol.
anka

I have a Quad Castile insert with the mahogany porcelain enameled finish, and I like it. Both of those stoves you mentioned are great, Im sure either of them would do the job. As was mentioned you' would need to check on the dealer to make sure you can get service if needed. Some dealers will sell you the stove and once its installed, they dont know you anymore or you cant contact them if there is a problem, so consider the dealer and the service plan if they have one.

Local Enviro Dealers been here forever, bought my 1o year old EF3 from them, will buy my next stove there too prob.Big deal around here is getting the stove WETT certified if you do the install yourself, no one will sign off on it so you can get House insurance,so thats a big thing to consider here when buying New, who's gonna certify it for you.I was Lucky enough the dealer Knew me, and came to inspect my Install Job, and signed off for me since i bought the stove from him.
As for Anka's comment about Harmen Bottom Feed, My bud bought a Harmen Duel Fuel, its actually a Bugger to keep going if they try any other brandpellets, keeps plugging up, he says never again to bottom feed,but thats just his experiance.Personally i don,t even here the tinkle anymore, cept when i go to the Bathroom, LOL...

I've had my Vista Flame VF-55, same as the Enviro M-55, just a different name, for a couple weeks now and could'nt be happier. My dealer's rep used to work for Harmon and called the Enviro the "harmonator". I'm not familiar with the quad. The burnpot on the Enviro is huge. If you've looked at both stoves you can compare but, the Enviro burns out the sides as well as in the huge center burnpot. Even on premium fuels, the auger still turns over occasionally to spread the fuel out in the burnpot. I believe this helps make the flame so large and nice. Even though I'm new to pellet stoves, I can't believe how completly it burns everything. I've been burning on and off for two weeks now - it's been 50's and starting to be 30 deg mornings - but, there is barely any ash in the pan. Overall, it is VERY quiet. I can barely notice the blower. The only audible noise is the steady tinkle of pellets. We could absolutely not be happier.......

As an Enviro dealer I am biased, but as you can see by the replys the M-55 is a great stove. The agitator work fantastic and as someone said it burns everything completely. Read my post on the M-55 from a couple of weeks ago titled M-55 First Burn. We have burned Super Premium, Premium, not very good premium pellets, wheat, corn and ACAI berry pits. All have burned well and the ash system is excellent.

BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
I have a quad mt vernon ae. Its a good stove but I believe the self cleaning feature on it is flawed. I dont know how the classic bay compares to the mt vernon. I have been checking out the enviro omega....that is if I can find a buyer for the quad.

Flawed? In what way? I don't have a problem with mine.

I love our Quad.... it has been nothing but dependable (so far); and the heat output is great. I had some problems but all were dealt with by the dealer.

Gweeper64 said:
BIGISLANDHIKERS said:

Flawed? In what way? I don't have a problem with mine.

The Mt Vernon Ae shuts down everytime it cleans itself.

-Here in Michigan I lose alot of heating until it restarts.
-I am on my 4th ignitor and stove wont restart after cleaning when the ignitor goes out. Running on high it cleans ever two hours or so.
-Sometimes pellets and corn clinker doesn't drop when it cleans and firepot eventually overflows.

BIH

autoclean is not a flaw. its designed that way with an intended purpose.
possibly need to control heat loss better.
ignitors burning out is pretty common amongst all makes.

no pane said:
autoclean is not a flaw. its designed that way with an intended purpose.
possibly need to control heat loss better.
ignitors burning out is pretty common amongst all makes.

The house is two years old and well insulated. It takes the stove over a half hour from shutdown to clean to get back to where it was. It does this about every two hours when on high.

Sure, other stoves ignitors burn out but their stoves may not force a shut down to clean. I am depending on the ignitor to restart my stove about 10 times a day or more.

The way this stove cleans it counts on only gravity to drop a clinker...nothing more. If it doesn't drop once it usually won't drop on the next cleans. The burn pot isn't designed to have a clinker in it and it won't burn right. Then after a while to pot will overflow and put out the fire or worst yet cause the flame to backup into the auger and hopper. Regular cleaning helps but I have had clinker fail to drop right after a good cleaning.

So, in my opinion, it is a flawed autoclean system...just my opinion back up by experience.

BIH

Could buy a stove that would burn corn or pellets with an active ash management system that doesnt shut the stove off and will work on a thermostat without an electronic ignition...I'm just sayin

BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
The house is two years old and well insulated. It takes the stove over a half hour from shutdown to clean to get back to where it was. It does this about every two hours when on high.

BIH
my house is ten years old. I burn softwood pellets on auto and it rarely gets above low and reaches the set temp before it needs to autoclean. wut type of fuel are you burning?

Going back to the original post. I am not familiar with the classic Bay. If it has a cleaning system similar to the Mt Vernon then my comments may be something for him to consider. If not then it doesn't really matter.

BIH

no pane said:
BIGISLANDHIKERS said:

BIH
my house is ten years old. I burn softwood pellets on auto and it rarely gets above low and reaches the set temp before it needs to autoclean. wut type of fuel are you burning?

I guess it depends on how much we are both heating. I am heating 2 levels and about 3200 sqft. I only have to operate at high when it's like below 10 degrees, otherwise I run it at about medium or lower. The stove puts out a bunch of heat and I like it alot and I guess the self cleaning part is ok when it works right.

BIH

Thanks for the Valued input Guys, She deciced on the Enviro M-55 for 2 reasons, #1 approx $600 cheaper, #2, dealer is Handy and has a good track record, #3 All Reports so far on the M-55 look Good.Can,t wait to see it in action, will reply after they have run it for couple weeks and see how it does.Thanks Again...

Status
Not open for further replies.