Honey locust score... Love my neighbors!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornflakes

Burning Hunk
Sep 19, 2014
Maryland
The neighbor is currently taking trips back and forth dropping it off in my back yard. He cut down two honey locusts that were dying and gave me all the wood! (I bucked it up) I actually went out and bought a CS-590 just for this project because my starter Poulan 220 finally died.

I'll post a pic once both trees are in one pile in my yard. This stuff smells great!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the score of primo firewood and the purchase of that Echo!!

For the record, my Echo always starts better than my Stihl :cool:

Reactions: Cornflakes
Nice score, very generous neighbor.

Nice! I just got a honey locust as well! I split a little less than half, as the rest is too long. 20160923_121034.jpg

It does NOT get any better than that.

There is no wood that smells better than Honey Locust when cutting and splitting. Well Maybe Cedar

Drying time min. 2 years!

Yep I've been splitting some Honey Locust. I will bang it and the maul bounces. Couple more times...a big crack and falls apart. Yes it smells great!
Great score!!!

I'm officially out of shape and an old fart at age 34.

Holy Moses cheese... I'm SORE, and exhausted.
Lol, as soon as you heal up you won't be able to wait and go back and do it again!

Nothing better than splitting wood, except maybe burning it.

My oldest son who is 3.5 told me he wasn't going to help me when he is older but his little brother will. I asked him what he will be doing and he says, "playing with ninja Legos" lol.

Anyway... all of the big stuff is pretty much split. I'll tinker with the little stuff later. Think I have enough here for a small holz hausen?
IMG_1539.JPG IMG_1540.JPG IMG_1536.JPG

Great score! That's a great saw too. I have one that I've been real happy with,

137 cubic feet but I found some rounds that I buried in my pile that I need to split still and I have a bunch of limbs still... so all in definitely over a cord. I have no complaints.

IMG_1613.JPG

Is this honey or black locust? It smells sweet, and is heavy. 20161016_172817.jpg

nice score! I just got a few trailer loads of black locust, I am told it will just about melt my stove if I don't mix the wood with other stuff. I also have a few loads of Walnut, that is a really nice smelling wood also.
I love my 590, it starts easy and is a great saw. you might want to look into the threads about opening up the muffler and retuning the saw. Echo isn't monkeying around with electronics or fancy extras, but this causes them to sell saws that are choked down and tuned lean from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.