Honey Locust ? ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ZZ Tom

Burning Hunk
Feb 3, 2014
SL,UT
www.garnerfoto.com
I answered an ad on KSL classifieds (our local news channel) for some free locust. I quickly drove across town and picked up a truckload of the heaviest wood I've ever gotten.

Attachments

• IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1952.JPG
    IMG_1952.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1953.JPG
    IMG_1953.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 260
Looks like honey locust to me . I got some a few years ago note the scaly bark and salmon color wood. I think this will need three year to season.

Good stuff packs a lot of heat.

Reactions: ZZ Tom
Honeylocust (Gleditsia triacanthos) - platey bark, with orange heartwood.

I agree with Lakeside that the wood is dense, and that it will probably take awhile to season.
I've been disappointed with its performance, but I probably didn't season it long enough.
I've got some seasoning longer and split smaller. We'll see how that does.

The smaller limbs look like it but the biggest chunk doesnt based on the bark. I have a lot in my stacks but haven't burned it yet. It's easy to split and it smells great.

I'll split it about 4" and let it season a couple summers. With our dry climate here it should be ready for 18-19. I sure hope it is somewhat easy to split as I've had just about a gut load of splitting elm even though I picked up a truck load of that today. Also scored a huge crotch of ash.

Attachments

• IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1956.JPG
    IMG_1956.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1957.JPG
    IMG_1957.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 179
i just restacked a cord of honey locust that was cut this past summer. I am hoping it will be ready in 2 more seasons....

It looks locust-y but it's gotta be a different type of honey locust than what's in my yard and what's in my stacks. Interesting. I wonder if it had thorns? The one in my backyard does not have them.

No thorns. The people say it's all from the same tree. I managed a screen cap from google earth street view

Locust, cherry or whatever I'm sure it will burn nice a couple years from now. Certainly much better than the cottonwood I was offered today. Just couldn't bring myself to go get it.

Attachments

• locust.jpg
    locust.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 148
  • cottonwood.JPG
    cottonwood.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 136
No thorns. The people say it's all from the same tree. I managed a screen cap from google earth street view

Locust, cherry or whatever I'm sure it will burn nice a couple years from now. Certainly much better than the cottonwood I was offered today. Just couldn't bring myself to go get it.
That google earth image seals it: Honey Locust. Stuff is awesome but I would let it sit a long time as previously stated. Dries slowwwwww.....

It is Honey locust. I just got a huge score of it from the windstorm last month. Very heavy when wet. Kinda "cracks" when split. The diameter of the trunk was at least four feet! Most was exploded all over a yard. The top was buried over a foot in the ground.

Hybrid Honey locust- no thorns. If left to propagate on its own will mostly revert back to having thorns. Takes as long as white oak to dry out, best at 15%, your climate will vary -here 3 years minimum.Got some good honey locust and red and white oak and a bunch of ( likely ) Siberian elm not to mention ash from tree service last summer 11-12 cords worth all told. Still have a few rounds & odds and ends to split yet.

Certainly much better than the cottonwood I was offered today. Just couldn't bring myself to go get it.

I can't bring myself to go into my backyard and get the cotton wood that is standing dead and mostly fallen over....