Is this Honey Locust? Or something else

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dfw245

Jan 28, 2022
Dallas
Came across a tree that a vacant lot looks to be cutting down soon. I'd never seen a wood like this before. A branch of it was lying on the ground and noticed it had a very brownish orange tint to it. Sorta like mesquite or Bradford pear. But the bark didn't look like either. Could this be some honey locust literally in walking distance? It seems to be dropping it's leaves already. Not sure why. Could be because the trunk is already cut about halfway through. I'll see if I can get a close up of the log. But it was VERY brownish orange. First glance I thought it was mesquite. Posted a pic of the leaves falling from it as well.

IMG_20230720_170555.jpg IMG_20230720_170600.jpg IMG_20230720_170621.jpg

And don't worry, I do see the patch of poison ivy near the base of the tree lol
And those dead vines on tree could be from poison ivy too. They can be worse than the leaves.

Reactions: Dfw245
Is it really?
From what I see and you describe, yes...very good firewood...it throws "sparkles" when the coals are exposed to cold air (reloading), you want to use a screen if burning in an open fireplace.

From what I see and you describe, yes...very good firewood...it throws "sparkles" when the coals are exposed to cold air (reloading), you want to use a screen if burning in an open fireplace.
Womp lol I figured it was a unicorn for a sec lol I've got plenty white oak and bodark on hand, no need for mulberry. I'd take it if it were honey locust. Did just score some ash from the same property

Womp lol I figured it was a unicorn for a sec lol I've got plenty white oak and bodark on hand, no need for mulberry. I'd take it if it were honey locust. Did just score some ash from the same property
HL and mulberry are real close to the same BTU...both over 23 MBTU/cord

not Honey Locust- wrong leaf. best to run away. vines could be PI. There is litterally nothing you can do with PI except dig hole and toss it in. Can't burn it as the nasty oil will vaporize causing you and any one down wind a whole lot of grief and money spent on medical help.

Last edited:
Definitely mulberry. Great firewood. I have a couple cords of it in my stacks. Your chain will throw bright yellow chips out when you cut it. Splits EASY!

Reactions: cygnus
not Honey Locust- wrong leaf. best to run away. vines could be PI. There is litterally nothing you can do with PI except dig hole and toss it in. Can't burn it as the nasty oil will vaporize causing you and any one down wind a whole lot of grief and money spent on medical help.
I have burned a lot of wood that had poison ivy all over it when I harvested it. It doesn’t bother me too much to deal with as long as I don’t get stupid and lick it or try to wipe my ass with it. I am pretty careful to yank most of the vines off when I stack though. My wife is terribly allergic to it and bringing In well seasoned wood and burning it has never resulted in a rash for her. Ymmv

I have burned a lot of wood that had poison ivy all over it when I harvested it. It doesn’t bother me too much to deal with as long as I don’t get stupid and lick it or try to wipe my ass with it. I am pretty careful to yank most of the vines off when I stack though. My wife is terribly allergic to it and bringing In well seasoned wood and burning it has never resulted in a rash for her. Ymmv
I'm allergic to it, but two of my kids aren't. I usually spray it to kill it, then cut it off with gloves on. Works for me.

Yup like anything else, if you know what you are doing you can deal with it. If you don't you will be in a world of hurt. I know how to deal with it, but unless i'm desperate, poison ivy vine covered wood stays where it is untouched by me.