hooked harman p61 up to a room thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ad356

Dec 25, 2009
north java, ny
hooked up the Harman to a room thermostat today. I hope it will help regulate the house temperature a little better. I hooked it up in series with the temp probe. one of the past mistakes I made with my stove was to crank the feed rate back to just enough feed rate to heat the house, now reading on the forum I read that is actually opposite of what I want to do. I have the thermostat in the next room over, I ran the wire through the basement and over to the thermostat's location. what should I have the temp dial set to on the stove, I set it to 75 degrees so when either the room the stove is in hits 75 or the thermostat hits 70 then the stove will idle down, correct? is setting the room temp dial to 5 degrees above the set point of the thermostat the prudent thing to do, or should I do something else? the problem with the room probe is that it's just too close to the stove, and I think the wife wants the conveince of a thermostat that she can easily adjust and not have to think of the stove's setting; kind of like running a furnace. she gets cold temp up the thermostat and if she gets overheated, turn it down.

I have a similar setup of my Harman P68, I have the thermostat a couple of rooms over. I used a set back thermostat that I bought from HD for somewhere around $25. It works great, I have used it for 4 years this way. I believe I keep the stove at around 75* and the thermostat at 70*. With the set back, I can lower the thermostat several times during the day and drop it at night. You'll like it.

Tom

I was also thinking of doing something like this but wireless. I dismissed the idea when I read on this forum after doing a search that if the thermostat shuts the stove down it will not automatically relight the stove but goes into some kind of default. Does anyone know if this is still true with the newer stoves?

The poster said to run the stove on manual. I purchased this stove for the shoulder seasons and when we are gone for a few days in the winter. I still plan on heating with wood, so I definitely do not want to loose the auto relight feature.

When you use a regular setback thermostat you get an error code when it sets back. There was a gentleman from NH who solved this, I will see if I can find the post and the link. He uses the setback just as a clock to "activate" the setback.

Found the link: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...d-when-using-a-thermostat.79520/#post-1014240

There is some controversy of doing damage to your control board by creating the error code when you only use the setback thermostat.

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate the link.

[/quote]There is some controversy of doing damage to your control board by creating the error code when you only use the setback thermostat.[/quote]

What is the controversy about this harming the board? Harman recommends it:

Programmable Tstat- Pellet_Page_1.jpg

I use a skytech 3301p, wireless programmable with up to 4 setbacks per day I believe, have the stove set to 85 on room temp in auto, the stove starts and stops based upon the t stat setting. I use temps of 72 with a setback to 68 and a swing setting of 2. Works great for this time of year, when it gets colder I will switch the igniter to manual for a low fire when the t stat is satisfied. The stove is downstairs in a split level with the remote sitting on the banister at the top of the stairs.works awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.