Hot burning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
Got the PE all back together, and lit a fire last night to take the chill out. I got the fire going nice, and threw a few small splits on, nothing huge - and after a while noticed the side rails and baffle glowing red. Took a stove top reading and it showed 660F. I thought this odd because it was a pretty small load of wood in the stove, with the air turned way down. The fire showed no signs of excess air (lazy flames, active secondaries). I did replace the insulation, etc... could this account for the stove running hotter then I'm usd to?

660 is pretty hot for the stove top but not excessive. Usually I recommend not letting it get over 700 degrees. I doubt if replacing the insulation is causing a problem. The temperature is within a normal range, it's just a matter of whether you can control the stove. Make sure your gaskets are sealing as they should by placing a dollar bill in the door and locking the door shut on it. Try it in several spots and if you can pull it out the gaskets aren't sealing.

The stove top reading is pretty normal, though something sounds odd with the rails or baffle glowing red. I've had the stove hotter by 100F and not seen this. How snug is the door gasket?

660F is perfactly fine. For that stove and even hotter wouldn't phase it. The baffle and rails glowing is a bit odd at such a low surface temp. Are you sure its not just reflection from the fire? I had my rails a little red once but not the actual baffle and the stove was much hotter than 660F more like 775F. The cat was sprawled out on the other side of the room! Where did you read your temp at?

gdk84 said:
660F is perfactly fine. For that stove and even hotter wouldn't phase it. The baffle and rails glowing is a bit odd at such a low surface temp. Are you sure its not just reflection from the fire? I had my rails a little red once but not the actual baffle and the stove was much hotter than 660F more like 775F. The cat was sprawled out on the other side of the room! Where did you read your temp at?

I never thought of it being a reflection. I'll have another look next time. I'm taking the temp with an infared thermometer about 5" in front of the flue collar.

Status
Not open for further replies.