Hot burning VC Intrepid II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdavis

Jun 18, 2009
WNY
I have a VC Intrepid II that has started burning hot and fast since cleaned behind the fire back. There was an unattached piece of gasket laying along the base of the lower fire back but I didn't know where it came from so I went ahead and changed all of the main gaskets (apart from that one) but it makes no difference it still burns hot and can't be controlled by the damper or the thermostat.

Any ideas especially where that gasket may have come from ... is there suppose to be one along the the base of the lower fire back ?

thanks very much

bump for ya.... cause i gotta get back there before next season and will probably have a cruddy gasket too and want all the info i can gather.

That gasket is likely the 14" - 16" length of 1/4" gasket that is supposed to be attached to the top/back of the damper housing. If that is missing the flue gases fly around the damper housing super heating the chimney and producing black smoke and possible deposits in the chimney. You have to remove the damper housing to replace it. Remove the upper fireback with the throat hood as you have already done before to access the refractory package. There are two more acorn nuts attached to two weld studs holding the damper housing in. Remove the acorn nuts and slide the damper housing out, Check the damper gasket (30" of 5/16 gasket) and the rear damper housing gasket. Replace what is damaged or missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.