Hot in California

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious why some people are suggesting a chimney cleaning. If the chimney was previously burning a gas insert, then it should be pretty clean, right? I suppose whatever was there before the gas insert may have left some crud if the flue wasn't cleaned, but certainly a quick look from the bottom and the top could determine if it needs a sweep.

That's true but since it was previously a woodburning fireplace it should be at least inspected to make sure it was cleaned properly before the gas insert was put in. At the same time, the sweep can check if the chimney is still sound and whether there are potential problems regarding the install.

A liner is going to get sealed in place. Too often the cleaning step is skipped setting up a potentially dangerous condition. Of course if the sweep finds the chimney is clean then no need to do it again.

Sure, but they'll still have to pay the sweep for his (or her) time. Are you suggesting this is an inspection/determination that a homeowner/novice cannot do on their own? I honestly do not know. I would have guessed that any issue with the chimney--whether having cracked flue tiles or creosote buildup--would be solved by insulating the steel liner.

Unknown, there are a lot of variables in chimney design, age and too often corners cut by the mason. There may not be a tile liner. There may be an offset which obscures part of the chimney. There may be cracked tiles. I'd be guessing without knowing more including whether or not they are already going to have a professional sweep on site already to install the liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.