HOT Kozy!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Egghead

Jan 18, 2013
Williamson, GA
I've always tried to keep a close watch on my temperatures since I'm still learning my stove. The highest temp I've ever measured (above the doors with an IR thermo) is around 450. The night it got that high I was a nervous wreck. Today, I came home from lunch and arrived at the same time our nanny showed up from picking our girl up from school. I had given her some instructions on how I typically run the stove and all has been fine since. Well today as I got out of my truck at the house I could smell a metallic smell which is typical from running our stove. When I got inside it was pretty warm (with temps in the 30s) and I could tell the stove was pretty hot. I checked it with my IR and it was just under 500 and had probably been loaded an hour or so earlier. Needless to say I closed the air down all the way (which was probably 1/4 open at the time). Question- is it possible that any damage occurred from running this hot? I've been running the stove all day and things seem to be fine- just not sure exactly what/where to check. I've since given some more thorough instructions on how to load/run the stove to the nanny. By the way our unit is a Kozy Z42.

I've always tried to keep a close watch on my temperatures since I'm still learning my stove. The highest temp I've ever measured (above the doors with an IR thermo) is around 450. The night it got that high I was a nervous wreck. Today, I came home from lunch and arrived at the same time our nanny showed up from picking our girl up from school. I had given her some instructions on how I typically run the stove and all has been fine since. Well today as I got out of my truck at the house I could smell a metallic smell which is typical from running our stove. When I got inside it was pretty warm (with temps in the 30s) and I could tell the stove was pretty hot. I checked it with my IR and it was just under 500 and had probably been loaded an hour or so earlier. Needless to say I closed the air down all the way (which was probably 1/4 open at the time). Question- is it possible that any damage occurred from running this hot? I've been running the stove all day and things seem to be fine- just not sure exactly what/where to check. I've since given some more thorough instructions on how to load/run the stove to the nanny. By the way our unit is a Kozy Z42.

Sounds to me like you got the stove hot enough to cure the paint further. You as many (including myself) have yet another vague manual which has no temp guidelines, just "DO NOT OVERFIRE" most steel stoves seem to run 500°-700°f. I wouldn't be too concerned. Happy and safexcited burning

Mine hit 780 the other night [emoji15] that scared me, my normal cruise is 650 to 700 steel will start to faintly glow at 800.

Which stove do you have?
I saw the vagueness of the over fire statement in the manual. I called Kozy to try getting a better answer on what's considered an over fire temp- they had nothing. I was kinda shocked by their answer

I
Which stove do you have?
I saw the vagueness of the over fire statement in the manual. I called Kozy to try getting a better answer on what's considered an over fire temp- they had nothing. I was kinda shocked by their answer

I have the Hearthstone Clydesdale and the manual states not to routinely run at 600°f, I do find my thermocouple on the top of the stove does show 500°f-600°f pretty regularly. If I keep it in the 400s it will not maintain a comfortable temp in the house as well as when it gets in the 500s obviously. ... I have not seen any ill effects from runnng at these temps so now I worry about little less about it. Occasionally it will run up over 650°f and then I'll crank the blower on high, if this doesn't bring the temps back down I'll open a window near the stove and once it got up over 700°, I ended up throwing a wet frozen split in to calm her back down. My stove is cast iron soapstone lined. My old steel stove would run in the 600s all the time.

I

I have the Hearthstone Clydesdale and the manual states not to routinely run at 600°f, I do find my thermocouple on the top of the stove does show 500°f-600°f pretty regularly. If I keep it in the 400s it will not maintain a comfortable temp in the house as well as when it gets in the 500s obviously. ... I have not seen any ill effects from runnng at these temps so now I worry about little less about it. Occasionally it will run up over 650°f and then I'll crank the blower on high, if this doesn't bring the temps back down I'll open a window near the stove and once it got up over 700°, I ended up throwing a wet frozen split in to calm her back down. My stove is cast iron soapstone lined. My old steel stove would run in the 600s all the time.
I don't have a thermocouple for mine and there's no way to check the temp on top. Any idea if there's much of a temp difference in temps on top vs temps from the front?

I don't have a thermocouple for mine and there's no way to check the temp on top. Any idea if there's much of a temp difference in temps on top vs temps from the front?

Depends on where your manual says to take the temps readings, mine says to take them top front center. I ordered a PID controller and a thermocouple and have it bolted down to the top of my stove using my draft test port bolt. Screenshot_2016-01-13-13-10-47.png
The design of my stove and the warming top does not allow me to use a magnetic surface thermometer without having a friend water jet the top grate to allow it to sit over one. I also was able to wire in a flashing buzzer as an alarm if the stove gets over what I feel is a safe set temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.