Hot or NOT??!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cbudgo

Feb 6, 2019
Massachusetts
Hi All,

I'm going to paint a discolored patch on my Jotul GF 300 vent pipe. I found a shop that made a perfect match and provided me some in a quart and a rattle spray can. It is not Very high temp paint.

I also read input here on the forum that the gas vent should not require VHT paint.

Can you guys confirm this? My vent comes out the top back of the stove and travels vertically. The discoloration is right at the top of the stove outlet or the base of the pipe. So it makes sense this would be the hottest spot on the vent pipe. But does it really require VHT paint?

Thanks in advance,

Buddy

JOTUL GF 300 Allagash II Gas Stove
As rugged as the wilderness waterway that bears its name, the Jøtul GF 300 Allagash presents the perfect union of efficiency and beauty.

Available in both B Vent and Direct Vent (DV), the Allagash gas freestanding stove has all the qualities of an efficient gas unit, with the look of a traditional wood-burning stove.

Apparently this stove comes in both a B vent and Direct Vent model. Which do you have?

If you don't know, post the complete model number found on the rating [plate for the stove.

A direct vented stove is very likely to be fine without special paint. A B vented stove is more likely to be vented through the ceiling, so I'm guessing that's what you have. That's probably going to be OK without special paint.

How hot to the touch does the vent pipe get when the stove is operating?

You can experiment by just repainting the small area where the paint is missing and see what happens.