Hot topics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Well I'm feeling a bit left out in the hotly contested post. so th stirr up the pot

lets start the cat vs non cat debate. Hell its been over a week since the last one

What no takers?

What about the outside air debate?

so that is of no interest either dam I got to gets thangs going here

Did you know smoke spirals in its accent up a chimney with each spiral motion, it builds up speed to its final exit
that being true circular fllues are better than oval or rectangular masonry ones. Which way should corrugated chimney liners be inclined in the northern hemosphere?

It sounds like you have to be a race driver to pilot one of them there Cat stoves. Pyrometers? What next, a turbo?
:)

As I am looking for a new stove, how about.

Why are all the EPA stoves essentially the same basic design?
Example, why are there no downdraft gasifying stoves? There are a very few such boilers and furnaces.
And why no EPA versions of the old potbellied stove, plenty of room in one to get a good secondary burn?

Seems like none of the manufactures want to get out on the innovative limb.

Have to leave soon so won't be able to reply till tomorrow.

velvetfoot said:
It sounds like you have to be a race driver to pilot one of them there Cat stoves. Pyrometers? What next, a turbo?
:)

I agree

I like to do like Ronco says "Just set it... and for get it"

[quote author="elkimmeg" date="1161914412"]what about the outside air debate?
I love outside air I usually open the windows in the spring, summer, and fall :lol:

Elk, search only as far as the nearest toilet bowl for the direction of the corregations. The coreolis effect is a friend of the bowl.

this was to be a light hearted post to the regulars that remembers epic debates of the past. Best response was harry, got a headache
Begreen thought he was talking to his wife again. I had no intention of winding it up. There is a rebuild going on I'm trying to help with no time to do epic battles
Plus we had enough recently. Got plenty going on in the inspection office I want to submit a picture of the worst install for the Darwin awards of wood stove installs.

elkimmeg said:
Well I'm feeling a bit left out in the hotly contested post. so th stirr up the pot

lets start the cat vs non cat debate. Hell its been over a week since the last one

What no takers?

What about the outside air debate?

so that is of no interest either dam I got to gets thangs going here

Did you know smoke spirals in its accent up a chimney with each spiral motion, it builds up speed to its final exit
that being true circular fllues are better than oval or rectangular masonry ones. Which way should corrugated chimney liners be inclined in the northern hemosphere?

This is a funny post... I'd say take it a step further... make it a wiki of "Best ways to start a hearth.com flame war" I think it would be very entertaining to see the things that people can end up fighting over!

Some more ideas:

What stove has the longest burn time? (a.k.a. The Soapstone Mafia Conspiracy in some circles)

How much money will I save with a pellet stove?

(similar: How many cords of wood = 1 ton of BioBricks?)

Where should I cut holes in my house to circulate the heat better?

Is it better to swing 6 lb maul faster or use an 8 lb maul slower?

Why does your "Brand X" stove have soot on the window?

we have not succede till bb spills coffee on his keyboard
Huskey VS Stihl

Really got to get Roo into this to have any legitatmacy Iknow (sp)

will will really know this post hit the traget when MSG moves it to the ash can

Also when all responders are smilling while typing. We need a light hearted fun post.
this inspector can poke fun at himself and still be smilling

How about gas vs. electric

Or, not to debate, but just to ponder... Just who is Martin and what does he do with your cloths for an hour?

EatenByLimestone said:
Elk, search only as far as the nearest toilet bowl for the direction of the corregations. The coreolis effect is a friend of the bowl.
yes but does is go the sameway up as down?

HEY! I'm not too late am I ????

Been working on a make over in the front room today , Whewwww . Glad thats almost done.
The wife and I already had the debate over this color and that color.......
You'll never guess who won the battle and lost the war. Hahahaha. O.K., so your first guess was right. maybe next time I'll get her , I guess I have been saying that for 20 years .

I know , How about a debate on commission checks from the stove manufacture and who makes more!?!?!?

Ole' ELKer , ya up for than one. V.C. vs P.E. & we might even get nasty and throw W.Stk in there too. ( tho we alread know WStk pays the most commission ) :lol:

NY Soapstone said:
Some more ideas:

What stove has the longest burn time? (a.k.a. The Soapstone Mafia Conspiracy in some circles)

How much money will I save with a pellet stove?

(similar: How many cords of wood = 1 ton of BioBricks?)

Where should I cut holes in my house to circulate the heat better?

Is it better to swing 6 lb maul faster or use an 8 lb maul slower?

Why does your "Brand X" stove have soot on the window?

Your fired , I'm still licking wounds over that one. I'm not talking to you for 2 more days so take that. ( dont know if that hurt ya or helped ya but there is that. ) %-P

Over all guys , I think its a good idea to wait 1 month between a good debate ..........
It take that long for my hands to feel better after slamming the keyboard keys with heavy fingers and banging of the head on the desk.
;-)

I never pick out a color paint, therefore I have never been wrong. I can remember doing a living room with 7 coats and less than a year doing it again,
because the color did not match the drapes. I never noticed never bothered me. I see so many color combination, I get immune to color. I only remember the wost ones.

Wife wants me to do the familly room this weekend I got to work on my plow truck 1992 GMC 2/4 ton 4x4. It races like no tommorrow I mean I can go 40 mph
and not touch the gas > I think I have it figured it must be the throttle body sensor If that does not work I will break thee seal and adjust the idle screw Plus some other things that need attention The shed is done for now but could use a coat of stain for protection and shelves built in

Andre B. said:

Why are all the EPA stoves essentially the same basic design?
Example, why are there no downdraft gasifying stoves? There are a very few such boilers and furnaces.
And why no EPA versions of the old potbellied stove, plenty of room in one to get a good secondary burn?

Seems like none of the manufactures want to get out on the innovative limb.

Have to leave soon so won't be able to reply till tomorrow.

Try this,
www.thelinco.com

Todd said:
Andre B. said:
Try this,
www.thelinco.com

Thanks, that is more like I had in mind, the T-4000 that is, got 20 acres of woods dad has 200 I can't afford to look at pellets or corn, can't even begin to keep up with the standing dead stuff to say nothing of the blow downs.
Could be a bit bigger but I have a few drafty windows that need fixing anyway.
Looks like 2 or 3 dealers listed are within 100 miles may have to take a drive Saturday.

A vent free woodburner? now that'd be something.

I'm planning on selling my home next year. I'm considering pulling my homesaver SS liner out of the chimney and taking it with me. Is this going too far?

elk, that sounds like a massive vacuum leak. check the tbi gaskets and vacuum hoses.

Wife wants me to do the familly room this weekend I got to work on my plow truck 1992 GMC 2/4 ton 4x4. It races like no tommorrow I mean I can go 40 mph
and not touch the gas > I think I have it figured it must be the throttle body sensor If that does not work I will break thee seal and adjust the idle screw Plus some other things that need attention The shed is done for now but could use a coat of stain for protection and shelves built in[/quote]

I have a tip: never go a home decorator. I could have bought a 30 ton splitter for the cost of 4 stupid window topper swag things at the last place.

Status
Not open for further replies.