Hotblast us stoves coal or wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Norway

Jan 12, 2014
pennsylvania
This is my first year with the hot blasts 1557M coal or wood stove I love it I have a 2800+ ft.² home and it really heats it well better then oil heat. I have forced air furnace I hooked it right into the furnace but I have not used the thermostat just the motors on the hot blast it blows it through the house beautiful. it is so warm that I have to keep it on low . I've been using wood but thought that I would try the coal I tried the not and the larger size and I don't find it Burns is hot as wood . I think I put too much coal on at once the first time I put it right on the hot embers of wood but I smothered it and didn't allow the coals to get as hot as they should of with the blue flame and you do that by putting a little at a time in. I tried it again and this time using the just the nut coal in small amounts , but I had to leave the bottom door open for it to burn completely or else coal stays coals don't burn to ash and it won't shake through grates ,the coal get stuck in the grates . So if anyone has any suggestions on what size coal I should use I would appreciate it, should I use P coal? would that be better or the larger coal or just keep the door open I hate to keep that door open at the bottom. I've used it in combination with the wood and it really helps stretch the wood out I'm running low

Last edited:
Welcome to hearth! We had the 1500 series hotblast for a number of years. A few years before we replaced our furnace, I tried to burn coal. For me, I never had luck burning coal in the furnace. Like you, I also found that wood made more heat. Based on what I read and my results, the furnace didn't burn anthracite well. The firebox design is a poor design for coal. When I burned coal, it required the air only from underneath the fire, and a nice deep bed of coal. There might be others on here with better luck than I had, but there's also a coal site called nepacrossroads.com. There are users of the furnace on there that burn coal with better luck. Sorry I wasn't of much help, I just know I got frustrated and burned wood only. Eventually we upgraded to a EPA certified woodfurnace, and cut our wood usage down quite a bit.

Reactions: Norway
Status
Not open for further replies.