House and wood burning problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Wood Bye Bye...cry cry...clancey

wood bye bye 003.JPG wood bye bye 004.JPG

Are you sure you got it from the wood? Did you pet a dog or cat before you got it? were you outside much? the vines are super poisonous and if you don't know what to look for it's easy to brush it and never know till a day later.

I also had terrible poison ivy when i was a teenager. Weed wacked a huge patch of it. Thought being 4 feet away from it was ok but was so wrong. The weed wacker sprayed the oil all over the place. 2-3 hours of that got it everywhere on my body except where my shorts were. Had to go to hospital for a shot. Not fun. I can feel your pain on this one.

I burned 10 packs of these my first winter. A little hard to start with no coals. Store inside. Maybe with a super cedar fire starter it would light better?

No and was not out of the house and no pets just two pigeons inside the house. I do remember on about the third or fourth burning--forget--all the smoke hit me on my right side cause I was holding on to the door to close it fast because I was trying so hard to get it to catch and it was like a real thick feeling smoke and black color too--like if it was damp or something and I took the moisture reading of the wood that I put in the stove and maybe fooling around with pounding the moisture meter and drilling into the wood to make holes so that I could get a reading---maybe that did it and I really think it was the smoke from that particular batch of mixed wood. Moisture was 17 or 18 percent on that particular batch and I remember thinking " the stove stack maybe is leaking because there was a light drizzle of rain or snow during the day", and the smoke was so different..heavy or something laying on me....I do believe that's where it started for within a day or two it started with just a small itch on my arm and neck and I did not think much of it but by the next day my mind was really on it...as it begin to spread "rapidly" throughout my body and I called my doctor and he sent me to the hospital. It sure does take a long time to get rid of the rash but it has calmed down now and seems to be healing up real well..., but it still has red places where the itching was--terrible..Also that Redstone wood fuel sounds interesting and will check all that out when I try to burn again and that will not be now but maybe next winter--lol....I have been wiping down everything that I might have touched just in case...turning into a fanatic now...keeps me moving and I did my taxes too so I am still plugging away at things..thanks everyone ..clancey

Last edited:
Could have been poison ivy or oak. Another potential is cedars or junipers. My dad was allergic to juniper. Some plant species (which include juniper) are allelopathic. They produce chemicals which inhibit plant growth around them. It's a survival mechanism to keep other plants from intruding in their space. Sumac is also allelopathic. Just because a specie is allelopathic doesn't mean it will cause a reaction. The chemicals that plants produce are all different and have different mechanism to prevent other plant growth.

Reactions: clancey
My stove installer is coming over here with his son to clean out my wood stove and I will keep you posted on what exactly he does and I sure hope he gets involved in this "real good" and my rash is almost gone all but the parts I cannot reach and they are the first ones to itch--lol...mostly my back but I have my big spoon that I can scratch it with--lol...clancey

Reactions: stoveliker
Get a good fireplace poker with a 90 degree piece branching off at the end, and scratch your back :)

Used to be the most cruel thing to wish on one where I grew up (and for clarity, I am not wishing this on you - just trying to incite a smile): may you get a lot of itches and short arms....

Hope it gets better. Look at what bears do to scratch their back. You have a tree in your front yard. Give some good entertainment to the neighbors.

Ha Ha ---now that would be exciting to see me scratch my back on a tree---not a bad idea here....The stove installer and his son came and just finished up the stove and did a beautiful job saying my stove was burning "clean" and not a lot of creosote but i only used it about nine times..He took bricks and stuff out and had two huge pieces of equipment plus a large mask with breathing things poking out of it and a very nice and clean job as well...It was interesting to hear the father and son talking to one another about the different types of jobs that they did--just nice people,,,,Glad that is over with and now I need to do research on what I can burn...I asked them about the environmental logs to burn and they said they don't recommend this because of some of the chemicals and as I read the outside of the log box it said---do not burn around birds----so since I have birdies this is a thumbs down for me---only in a emergency if I have too...So I am going to see what I can burn--any suggestions once again would be good....My wood stove is like brand new and its beautiful and i really miss my wood burning but I guess I will survive without it until I find something else that is safe to burn...thanks...clancey

Ha Ha ---now that would be exciting to see me scratch my back on a tree---not a bad idea here....The stove installer and his son came and just finished up the stove and did a beautiful job saying my stove was burning "clean" and not a lot of creosote but i only used it about nine times..He took bricks and stuff out and had two huge pieces of equipment plus a large mask with breathing things poking out of it and a very nice and clean job as well...It was interesting to hear the father and son talking to one another about the different types of jobs that they did--just nice people,,,,Glad that is over with and now I need to do research on what I can burn...I asked them about the environmental logs to burn and they said they don't recommend this because of some of the chemicals and as I read the outside of the log box it said---do not burn around birds----so since I have birdies this is a thumbs down for me---only in a emergency if I have too...So I am going to see what I can burn--any suggestions once again would be good....My wood stove is like brand new and its beautiful and i really miss my wood burning but I guess I will survive without it until I find something else that is safe to burn...thanks...clancey
You can burn any dry chord wood that isn't contaminated with oil from poison ivy etc. Or and wood product that is made from 100%wood and designed for use in a stove. Many have no additives at all. Some just have some starches added as binders which are not a problem. Just stay away from the ones with wax binders

Need to check it out and this is where I would cut my own wood then I would know it was okay but of course "that's out of the question"--you lucky people who can do your own wood and at least you know it is healthy wood...My have I suffered but getting well now...thanks and "no wax binders" I did not know about...clancey

Those pigeons are big disease carriers as well.

I would see if you can source your own wood. Take pine, get it now, "Green" (fresh, wet). Store it in your shed. Given your weather it'll be likely good to burn this coming burn season. Seasoning your wood in one year is good for you given the limited space. Pine can do that. There may be more wood where you live that would allow that.
It'll also be cheaper because it's green, and because a lot of people are afraid to burn pine or similar woods - but they are ill informed. Nevertheless, their ignorance is good for your wallet :)

ANd yes, there are good sawdust logs you can burn. See if Norther Idaho Energy Logs (NIELs) are available around there. They are good (and there are a few others that are also - but I don't remember their names). You can stack them inside - no bugs, clean (barring some dust, I surmise).

95% of the wood I burn is jack pine.cut 6 cords every September and it's ready the following year.i can get a good 8 hour burn on pine .we are in a cold spell now so I throw in oak 4×4s and get a 10 hour burn

I've done the same. Got about a face cord of 18" long pine. Split, stacked, covered early in the year, was <17-18 pct come burning season. All except one load gone now :)

After this experience I will stick with the saw dust logs to burn and will check into those Idaho ones and let you all know how they burn see we all get experience here..lol Unless I cut the tree down myself and check out the area real good I will not take the chance on wood burning at this time..That first batch of wood was just wonderful but I made a mistake by mixing it up with the second batch and I believe it was that second batch that made my rash especially the smoke that came from it--terrible---and will not take the chance....I miss it and my porch has been "ice cold too" and wood burning gives one such a nice warm feeling--different but hugging nice--so enjoy everyone and I will get something burning that is more agreeable with my system..thanks for the encouragement and help...clancey

You could always wear gloves everytime u touch firewood in the future.

With this particular problem it spread so so bad and so quick too and its almost four weeks and I am still suffering from it but its getting well now and fading.. My eyes were half shut and this has been so scary I just will not take the chance. Because of the feeling of the smoke laying on my arm and seeing it the doc was really worried about my lungs but I am fine..I wiped down everything and had the stove cleaned really well as well as having the wood people take all the wood away--just could not take the chance and a sad state of affairs this was and now i am looking at the different products to burn....I wish gloves would just do the trick but its not that easy and like I said I cannot take the chance and I really enjoyed my wonderful wood stove and I will burn again maybe "next winter"--lol clancey

As far as the 'house category here', I have my canopy bed put up and been using it now for three nights . It was very expensive and a "bear" to put up because of the flimsy bed frame that came with it and I regret not choosing the metal frame but they ship all these out so that you can choose and construct the three bed sizes instead of the dedicated size like I expected---a nightmare to put up and the wooden posters kept breaking and coming out of the holders--not good here. As far as the mesh material with it --I respect this type of material and it is amazing in its own way as well as beautiful. I have used it for three nights now and it gives you a solid nights sleep with less getting up during the night especially if you are a senior. My eyes are less dry as well as my skin and one seems to have more energy in the morning after your breakfast or coffee. This bed canopy also helps to heal minor sores much faster and I am talking about my "skin rash", (sumac or poison ivory) and I am totally healed today after almost 5 weeks because there "inside the canopy" seems to be a less vibration or movement of the air and i can feel this difference and no one else can. I am referring here to the 5g pole very near to my house as well as wifi which I disconnected and now using hard wiring on my computer and this has decrease my nervousness. Just wanted you to know...As far as the suggestion of "Northern Idaho energy logs for my wood burning--they read excellent but you need to go into a dealer because they sell them to the different stores and a lot of these stores do not carry them like Ace out of Montana..The Wyoming dealer I spoke to was very nice but the problem was they were just too expensive to get here..Shipping alone for a pallet was 3$ a mile plus the price of the wood which is very expensive and it would cost about $1500 in order to get that wood to CO. So that idea is out.. Just an update on the situation of my house and stove. clancey

This week sometime I will try to burn some of that Enviro Log burning and I have six of those logs and do you all have any suggestions about that and would this hurt my stove which is a Roby Sirius wood burning stove. I cannot get the North Idaho Energy Logs to my area without a large cost of money but can anyone suggest another wood product or "whatever" for me to consider. ? clancey

Did not burn any of those envir. logs just ran out of time and then I was too tired to try them out..
thinking about buy a very small piece of property like maybe a half of an acre or something and put a trailer on it with a garage...I am too old to move but I am just thinking about that to check into because I figure "why buy someone else's problems" with buying a cheaper home...Just thinking..clancey

resale on mobile homes very poor, most areas regulate where you can have one. trailer parks are a pia. Now it is possible to put a moble home on a permanent foundation that gets around some regulations in a none specified area. Not that much different than a modular built home from a factory ( which might be a better choice). The build quality has gotten better over the last 20 or so years. Long and narrow unless a double wide - pain to heat with a wood stove just because of that. I lived in an old 1980 unit for 7 years in a park while recovering from a divorce ( i did heat with a wood stove). at the time the park lot rent was apx 350/mo or 4200/year but there were no municipal taxes that I had to pay on top of that. ( varies with area.) So over all it was cheap - beat the heck out of $700/mo apartment rent ( starting price) This was 20 years ago. power, water and sewer are the other things ones needs to look at in addition to the home cost. I can't really give any numbers for those as it varies quite a bit by location. Just some basic things to consider.

Your right on all counts here..I checked into this a bit and this is not the way I want to go because most of all I need services (doctor, walmart, etc etc,,,.)...So I am just going to stay in my home and try to fix it as I go along and make it more comfortable for I am blessed to even have a home..But it was fun checking out anyway and I am keeping my eye on things in regard to safety... That cobb housing is interesting and that was on u-tube--interesting video...If I find anything really interesting according to my thinking I will share it on here first for I know people will steer me in the right direction...Thanks for taking the time for your posting and I appreciate...clancey

Reactions: stoveliker
It's good to keep dreaming; if not about another home and moving, try to find something else to look into, think about, dream about, and maybe work on a little bit (if you have time for that besides your birds...)