House Layout - Where to put the fans?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
New to me stove just put in (Regency f2400), house is 1800 sqft, stove rated for 2200.

Key is to heat the living room. The red is the stove, above the stove (on the pic) are all windows. Behind the stove is a brick wall (the sunroom is an addition).

I understand pushing cool air is easier. Should I place a fan on the floor at the entrance or far end of my living room? And also a fan in the window opening at the top, moving hot air into the dining room?

Or, any other better ideas?

Thank you in advance! :)

Attachments

• stovelayout.jpg
    stovelayout.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 106
That is going to be a challenge with the living room being the farthest room and with a doorway. Is there a basement under all of this space?

That is going to be a challenge with the living room being the farthest room and with a doorway. Is there a basement under all of this space?

There is a basement, with pipes that we need to ensure don't freeze. So we will be putting on the oil furnace every so often.

Is the reason you're asking is because you're thinking of turning on the air to circulate? I did read a few posts on here indicating not the best idea, since the hot air will have to go into the cool basement, then back out...causing it to cool more.

I was thinking of an insulated duct running in the basement from the living room to the sunroom with an inline fan. That would pull air from the living room and blow into the sunroom.

The sunroom, with its door and wall of windows, has the potential for enormous heat loss. For a 2.3 cuft stove to have any chance of providing enough heat to warm the distant living room, losses from the sunroom will have to be minimized. Do you have a plan to do this?

Reactions: jetsam
A challenge to be sure . . . me . . . I would start with a fan in the upper left corner near the entry door pointing towards the stove to see if I could set up an air current flowing out towards the dining room . . . realizing that the living room will most likely remain cooler.

If that doesn't work I would try the opposite corner with the fan pointing towards the stove and kitchen . . .

Experiment a bit before trying BeGreen's advice . . . placement of a fan may or may not work for you.